Migration of projects from a field configuration scheme to another

Rasha Alshatti November 29, 2022

Hello,

I am in a situation where different projects on Jira are working on very different field configuration schemes. 

In order to align them, I have created a default field configuration scheme that fits best the company's needs. 

However, I have to now migrate the projects to the new scheme I have created.

What is the impact of this on projects? Will they lose their data if for instance on of their existing fields does not exist in the new field configuration scheme? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Rasha Alshatti,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Existing data will not be affected, unless you delete custom fields or change the values available. 

Rasha Alshatti November 30, 2022

Thank you Mikael! 
This means that if:

• I have a custom field drop down list with the values 1 and 2
  • and I have an issue where this field is equal to 2

> then if modify the configuration of this custom field and remove the value "2", my existing issue where this field was defined as 2 will be empty? even if it is mandatory? 
Joseph Baca January 24, 2023

Hello @Rasha Alshatti  !

I'm wondering if you were able to successfully migrate your projects to the standardized field configuration scheme you created and if all data was retained from projects on the deprecated field configuration schemes?

(I'm assuming from your initial question that the new field configuration scheme included fields specific to different schemes.)

Thank you!

Suggest an answer