Migration from Old server to New one

panagiotis.karalis October 30, 2019

Hello community,

I'm trying to migrate my info from old jira instance (old server - without licenses available for any further upgrade) to the new instance (new server - with new licenses).

First of all, I'd like to import my data 'project-by-project' including the respective issues, because:

1- I have update the interface of my new instance adding new logos, colors and so on and

2- I have already add new projects and I'd like to leave them without affect them.

Therefore, I was trying to use my latest backup from my old server as input in the option "Project import" in the System menu of my new jira instance.

The problem is that when I'm trying to import the backup from old instance, I receive the message :

"This data appears to be from an older version of Jira. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of Jira is at build number '804002', but the supplied backup file was for build number '73017'."

Do you have any idea to migrate my old projects to new instance and not moving the issues 1-by-1?

Thank you!!

1 answer

1 vote
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2019

Hi @panagiotis.karalis , 

in this case you would need to have a temporary instance with the Jira version of your new instance. You should import your full backup (from the old instance) on this temp instance, and then do a per-project import.

Otherwise, you can try an addon like Configuration Manager : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211611/configuration-manager-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

panagiotis.karalis October 31, 2019

But the problem is still there!

How could I import the backup from old instance in the new temp instance without receive the error message [1]?

[1]:

"This data appears to be from an older version of Jira. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of Jira is at build number '804002', but the supplied backup file was for build number '73017'."

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

You need to import from the XML backup, not from a Project export. It's explained in this documentation : https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/restoring-data-from-an-xml-backup-938847707.html

panagiotis.karalis November 1, 2019

Hi,

I've created a new temp instance of jira (latest version) and I used the latest backup of my NEW instance. The backup was imported successfully.

After that, I followed the instructions of the documentation [1], but without luck.

I exported the projects in xml format and when I tried to imported them in the new temp Jira instance, I got the following error message:

"This data appears to be from an older version of Jira. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of Jira is at build number '805000', but the supplied backup file was for build number '73017'."

Any idea or advice will be more than welcome!!

Thank you!

[1] https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/restoring-data-from-an-xml-backup-938847707.html

Suggest an answer