Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Migrating data from JIRA Server

Hello - 

I'm not getting a good read on the documentation when it comes to migrating JIRA Server data to the Cloud multiple times, so I wanted to ask here.

I'd like to do several trial runs of exporting the server data and importing it into cloud before we put our prod server in read-only mode, but I'm not seeing if each migration we do will overwrite existing data.  I'd like it overwrite so when we do migrate on the day we go live with cloud, I'd like to have the latest data from server.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

1 answer

If you are using Site Import method, it will overwrite the existing data.  If you are using JCMA, you will need to delete old data first, or it will complain about Project Keys being used already in Cloud.

@Dave Theodore _Coyote Creek Consulting_ 

Thanks.  Is there a clean way to delete the old data first?  

Is Confluence the same?  If using the CCMA, will I need to delete existing data first?

Here are the details for Site Import. As of today, it's only available if you have more than 1000 users in Cloud, so this may not be an option for you. There isn't a great way to delete the old data, unfortunately. You either need to write a REST script to do it or manually delete the Projects from the UI. Your only option for Confluence is CCMA. Unfortunately, it doesn't clean up the legacy macros, so you need to do that yourself.

I would recommend spinning up a development site in your same org and do all your testing there.  It's faster to create a new site than it is to delete the old data.  Once you have identified a repeatable method of migration, use that on your main production Cloud instance.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

4,959 views 18 31
Read article

Atlassian Community Events