Migrate a classic project to a next-gen project

Eran Shmueli October 21, 2018

Hi,

Can I migrate a classic project to a next-gen project?

thanks,

Eran

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2018

you can't "migrate" precisely in that there is no 'button' to migrate. However, you can move all issues from the classic project to the next-gen. Depending on the complexity of the workflow on the classic you will need to map the status to the more streamlined next-gen but the Move will walk you thru it. You can easily start w/ just moving 1 or 2 to try it out first then do a bulk move.

let me know if you have any issues in doing this.

Eran Shmueli October 21, 2018

Thanks Jack for your swift answer

To avoid loosing info, I've tried to clone and move to the new next-gen project and it seems to work fine.

Will continue from here :)

thanks again!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2018

You are most welcome. Please consider accepting the answer. 

Gregory Campbell November 20, 2018

How do you clone a project? I can't find a button in JIRA Cloud to do that.

Thanks!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2018

You can’t clone a project.

Cliff Beale December 13, 2018

Would be useful to know how Eran Shmueli achieved "tried to clone and move to the new next-gen project and it seems to work fine" - also trying to do this, but can't see a simple way in the docs?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2018

@Cliff Beale, while this doesn't approach the "clone" process that Eran did, you might be interested in other details on moving issue from Classic to NG. If you look the the RH sidebar of this page you will find Related Content w/ a couple good posts. One of these is - Migrating-from-Classic-to-Next-gen-Software-Projects

Like Netali Jakubovitz likes this
Cliff Beale December 14, 2018

Thanks Jack - I had a go at the migration approach described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-from-an-next-gen-project-to-a-classic-project-957974933.html but it requires a commitment to Move tickets from a Classic Project. I did this with some "Done" state tickets to reduce risks, but on moving them back again there were issues with the tickets showing as linked to the original Classic Project, but not linked to the original Classic Project's Sprint Board. This left me feeling concerned about migrating the project wholesale for two reasons:

1. I cannot Clone the Classic Project, I have to commit to Moving everything (max 1000 issues it seems)
  2. If there are any problems or unforeseens in the migration (eg operational effort required to re-wire all the links from Confluence documentation or Dashboards) the reversion process seems to have some bugs that could cause significant operational issues if we decided we had to reverse out of the migration

Our reason for wanting to try the Next Gen project was solely to enable the Roadmap feature to help senior management staff by simplifying the information provision to their level.

For now, I'll look for alternative ways to generate a Roadmap. However, any thoughts on safely testing this out with a whole (Live) project would be very gratefully received.

Thanks again for your time Jack.

Like Netali Jakubovitz likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2018

Thanks for sharing Cliff. I'm not surprised you are having issues TBH. There are vast differences between the two templates, in fact NG isn't just a template i really is a different implementation underneath. Personally I would never try to migrate anything but a very simple classic project even if that. I would 'start anew' w/ NG if I saw the desire/need.

Best of Luck!!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mayank June 11, 2020

Hey All!

Old post but I would like to add that I came across the same requirement and it was literally not possible to migrate all the stories of all the projects we had in the classic project. So I wrote a python script to do it for me. You can try it out as well. https://github.com/maknahar/jira-classic-to-next-gen

Suggest an answer