Migrate Jira Software to Jira Work Management

Steve Gehlen May 13, 2021

We are using Jira Software (cloud), but have really set it up to work for non-software projects that are now better suited to the new Jira Work Management product.   What is the process of migrating our current Jira Software projects (team-managed) to Jira Work Management (team-managed), while maintaining all the current issues, board flow, etc?

Thanks.

SG

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hello @Steve Gehlen 

I am not finding any documentation specific to migrating from Team Managed projects to Work Management projects. I think it would be similar to migrating to Company Managed projects, but I'm not really sure since we don't use Work Management projects.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

Pay particular attention to the very last section of the document.

The workflows and board will have to be recreated; they will not "migrate". Any custom fields you created will have to be recreated; those also will not migrate. Report information will be lost; sprints, velocity charts, etc.

Steve Gehlen May 14, 2021

Thank you for your reply.

In our case, we are looking to migrate from Jira Software using team-managed projects to Jira Work Management team-managed projects.  Since both are team-managed I'm hoping we won't lose anything in the process.

I edited my original post to make it more clear that it is team-managed to team-managed.

SG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Where are you seeing that the Work Management product includes Team Managed projects?

All the information I'm reading in the Work Management documentation is content relevant to Company Managed projects. I'm not finding anything yet that says you can create a Team Managed project in the Work Management product.

Tony Willenberg August 16, 2021

We, too, have taken on Jira (Work Management) after using Jira (Software) and need to migrate our projects across. Is this possible?

Like Ergun likes this
Jason Lane September 27, 2022

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution for this as i have so much in the JIRA software (Cloud) but seem to find the Work Management more appropriate?

Thanks

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

Now, over a year from the original posting of this thread, I see in my system the option to make Team Managed Business/Work Management projects.

@Jason Lane please start a new thread that details the specific questions you are trying to get answered. In general the method for "changing" a project from Software to Work Management is to make a new, empty Work Management project and then use the Move Issue feature to move the issues from one project to another. With Team Managed projects there can be some data loss, as custom fields in Team Managed projects are not shared so the data won't "move" from a custom field in one Team Managed project to an identically named custom field in another Team Managed project. One work around is to export the issue data to CSV and then import them to the new project as that provides a step for mapping old data to new fields.

Like Karri likes this
Jack Horley January 23, 2023

Do we have a link to this new thread?

Like # people like this
Joshua Boys June 24, 2023

I'm hoping there is now a better way rather than moving each issue

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2023

Creating a new empty project and moving the issues to the new project is still the process @Joshua Boys 

Like Joshua Boys likes this
Joshua Boys June 25, 2023

Thanks for confirming @Trudy Claspill 

Alexander Preston September 2, 2023

Assuming the best practice for this is still to create an empty work management project and move the issues - is there a way to maintain the issue keys? For instance if a given issue has the key ENGAGE-123 then this needs to still be in place after the move, if possible?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2023

No there is not. The issues will get new keys assigned as they move to the new project. Each project has its own project key which is the first part of each issue key. You can't have two projects with the same key.

Jira keeps track of the key change for a moved issue and will automatically redirect any old links to the new key.

What problem are you trying to solve by trying to keep the original keys?

Alexander Preston September 2, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill thanks for the quick reply.

I was aware of the key uniqueness but also that you can change the key on a given project as in the below screenshot so wondered if I could workaround that.

The use case is that we use Jira for a central process management backbone and have many other apps that keep a reference to the relevant issue key. For example, SharePoint/OneDrive folders, Xero (invoices) and several other plugins that I fear rely on the issue key. Perhaps I can workaround the requirements of each integration but I think it will be a lot of risky work.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 164348.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2023

Generally you can't reuse a project key because of the function in Jira that handles the automatic redirection.

Let us say you were moving issues from project ABC to project XYZ. ABC-13 may become XYZ-24. The numeric portion does not necessarily stay the same when issues move to a new project.

Jira knows if somebody asks for ABC-13 to give them XYZ-24.

Now let us say you change the project key of XYZ to ABC. if a user asks Jira for ABC-13 how is Jira to know if the user wants the original ABC-13 which became XYZ-24, which is now ABC-24, or if the user wants what was XYZ-13 and is now ABC-13?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events