Marking a version as released doesn't mark my tickets as Deployed

Claudia.Funie April 1, 2019

I've started to use the version release functionality in Jira, however, I realised that after I marked a version as Released, all tickets assigned to complete that version, were not automatically updated to Deployed. 

So, it just feels like marking a version as Released doesn't really do anything but mark a status next to the Fix Version. 

Is this how this flow was intended to be or am i missing anything?

Is there any plan to automate this status update in the future?

Thank you, 

Claudia 

4 answers

0 votes
Linda Fix September 16, 2021

What I believe Claudia would like an answer on (as I do) is that once an issue has a fix version applied and on deployment (or shortly after), when you click the release button in the release does it flag in Jira on the individual issue as being deployed. 

So for example you have 50+ items going to production, when you click the release button is there an automated process built in that flags them as deployed at the individual issue level?  If so how is that done or where do you find that information as it does not seem to be visible anywhere in the JIRA issue itself. 

It seems to me there should be an automated process when you click the release button that marks each of the items in fix version as deployed with the date deployed if possible so you can target those issues in reporting on demand as deployed at some point in time outside of the release.

Thank you -

PS - I will take a deeper look at the one suggestion to set up an automation.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2021

No but you could use Automation to update a “deployed” custom field.

Linda Fix September 16, 2021

Thank you; I will check that out.  Appreciate the question and response.

0 votes
Salvatore Testa May 4, 2021

I used the Jira Automation plugin (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation) and set up this rule to get this behavior.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.06.12 AM.png

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

Hi Claudia,

You are correct, doing a Release really does nothing more than placing a value in the Fix Version field. Which then typically removes it from your board to reduce clutter.

If you want to update the status you will need to either do that on a transition to your final column or create a transition on the final status that points to itself and updates the Resolution. Of course, that would mean that you have a two step process to release - click the button of the transition to set the Resolution and then do the Release. But it is typically a two step process anyway. 

Thank you, John! It just feels like updating the ticket status should be part of this flow, else it's quite some manual work every time you mark a version as Released. 

Thank you for your answer and have a great day, 

Claudia 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2019

Typically, you complete the work first (Resolution is Done) and then work is released when it is Deployed. I think the connotation is that it has been deployed by definition if it has been released. 

Is there a particular reason that you need to see a status of Deployed AND Released? As opposed to Done and Released?

Claudia.Funie April 2, 2019

Hi John, 

I am ok with Done and Released. I think i wasn't very clear in my question. Marking a ticket as Released is what i'm looking to get. And yes, Deployed = Released. 

Currently a ticket is marked as Done, based on our definition of done, which does not include releasing the ticket to live environment. 

That is why when a fix version is released, it makes sense to me that all the tickets part of the fix version, will get the Released status, as well; which is not the case, unfortunately. 

Thank you for your help!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2019

Ah, I think I finally understand. When you move an issue to Done you want it to do an automatic Release. Correct? Would that be just that issue? Or when the very last issue is marked Done with that Fix Version? 

Not sure that is even possible. You might find more information here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/releasing-a-version-764478179.html

Or here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-versions-in-a-kanban-project-764478085.html

I believe JIRA intends for Releases to be more of a manual process for Kanban based on review of the issues. 

Salvatore Testa January 14, 2021

I'm having the same issue!

When you move an issue to Done you want it to do an automatic Release. Correct?

If I'm reading Claudia's question right, this summary isn't quite right. 

If I'm fixing a bug Jira ticket, when the code has merged, Bitbucket moves the linked ticket to "Done". The next step should be, when the linked commit makes it to production (e.g. using the "production" deployment tag on Bitbucket Pipelines), I would like for Jira to move the ticket to "Released" or some other status to show the code change has been deployed to servers.

Does Jira have some way of triggering a status change ("Released" in my example) when a ticket is in the production deployment?

Like Lucy Dilts likes this
Lucy Dilts May 4, 2021

Hi Sal - I am trying to figure out how to do the same thing. Any luck?

Salvatore Testa May 4, 2021

@Lucy Dilts, yes! I just made it an answer on the post so it's less buried.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2019

i'm not familiar w/ "deployed". I don't have that in Cloud, are you on server? I'm wondering if this is a server feature or if it is a custom status or something in your instance?

Umm, for us this status Deployed is the same as Released. 

What I'm saying is that the tickets which are marked as part of a release, do not get marked as Released when the version is Released. Make sense?

Thank you for your reply!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2019

maybe....are you expecting the status to change from Done once it is released? That doesn't happen. Released is associated w/ a Fix Version and it is binary: unreleased or released. If you want, you could add a status "Released" and manually or thru automation transition the issues to "Released". Keep in mind that the field Fix Version allows for multiple versions. This so that you can indicate which versions the issue has been fixed in. So one of the complexities arise when, say you have three versions in the FV field and maybe one of the three versions are released. 

Suggest an answer