Making custom fields available to other issue types

Boyd K August 31, 2022

Using Jira Data Center (self-hosted, self-managed).  I just finished adding a bunch of custom issue fields to an issue type for software changes in one project.  Somewhere along the line I created another project with the same issue type for their software changes.  In fact, the two projects use the same workflow for that issue type.  Lastly, I added a second issue type in the first project for environment changes with its own workflow.

Now I notice that some of the custom issue fields are not 'available' to my software issues in the second project as well as to my environment issues in the first project.  In such issues, I click on Configure Fields and then on Where is my field? and find the custom fields of interest and I get a message [x] The 'such and such' field is not present on the form you are viewing.

I get checkmarks for the Field Configuration and Field Screen but an [x] for the Project and issue type scope.  It says to go to the custom field's configuration page and add it to the scope.

So will I need to do this for each and every individual custom field?  Is there any other way to do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

For each field where you set a Context that limits their availability to only certain projects or certain issue types, yes, you will have to do this.

If the different types of issues all use the same fields and screens then you should be able to update one Field Configuration and one set of Screens and add those to the Schemes used by the issue types and projects where applicable.

It is a best practice to try to use shared screens, field configurations, and schemes when possible to minimize maintenance so that you don't have to update so many different assets. You may want to take some time to review those assets across your instance to see if you can do some consolidation to reduce future maintenance burdens.

Suggest an answer