Log Time shortcut

Svante Jacobsen May 16, 2019

We just moved to Jira Cloud and are failing to find a keyboard shortcut for logging work time to an issue. This used to be .L+[enter]. Even just W or T would have worked great (and have been suggested/indicated to work when Googling this problem). No such luck. We have even tried Chrome Recorder plugins to no avail. Please help!

Perhaps there is a development and/or bug report for this that I can follow/amplify?

6 answers

3 votes
Igrar September 28, 2022

"q" is a shortcut for time log 

0 votes
Svante Jacobsen May 22, 2019

Will answer my own question:

A few days of investigation shows there seems to be something wrong with the "." (dot) menu. Adding the ?oldIssueView=true to the issue URL enables a working "." (dot) menu for the issue.

We are now looking to make oldIssueView=true persistent (which it somehow is for me but not my other team members).

I can now use keyboard only to Log work: "." (dot) "log" > Enter > "30m" > Enter

Svante Jacobsen May 23, 2019

Installed a Chrome Extension (Requestly) to always append ?oldIssueView=true to Jira /browse/ views. Team will now be using this to get things working.

Svante Jacobsen October 1, 2020

I just heard oldIssueView is being retired. This will break our workflow. Please Atlassian, are you even listening to this?

Like # people like this
Christian Bartels March 5, 2021

I reported this as a bug each time after I tried the new view and was forced to switch back because of this. Now the old view should be removed and still the issue is not solved in the new view. @Attlasian: Please address this. All proposed workarounds seems weird and I see no reason why all the actions that are hidden under the ... menu are not part of the `.` magic shortcut.

Like Svante Jacobsen likes this
0 votes
Svante Jacobsen May 17, 2019

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2019

Hello @Svante Jacobsen 

If you are using next-gen projects, then they don't yet support proper time tracking.

Open request here

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17447

Time Tracking not available for Next-Gen Software Projects

For normal projects the shortcut "W" is not working and that's an verified bug.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-65878

The Log Work shortcut W is not working

Svante Jacobsen May 17, 2019

Thanks! "W" actually toggles issue WATCHING for me. Time tracking works (if willing to grip for the mouse, look for the three little dots, aim, click, aim again for "Log time", click and then write the minutes spent). OMG just noticed (sadly) one cant even press Enter to Submit the form - so, reach back for mouse...

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2019

Yes "W" is for watching the issue, but on the server version "w" is for logging work thus best is to have consistent behaviour while logging time hence the open ticket. For classic projects we can log time by click on the 3  dots, but that's not possible on next-gen.

Salomie October 3, 2019

Hi Svante

When I had the Tempo Timesheets Plugin active on our instance, "w" launched the "Log Work" window...

When we use the JIRA time logging option though, "w" toggles "Watch issue" as Tarun said above. It is sad that we cannot create our own site shortcuts...

I certainly agree that "." and then finding "Log Work" with the mouse is very cumbersome...

Try "." "L" then "Return key" - That works a little bit faster for me...

Svante Jacobsen September 18, 2020

Yes, "." "L" "Return key" - that's the way it should work - just that "." does not present any Log Work option so one has to: grip for the mouse ... etc.

Like Krishen Greenwell likes this
0 votes
Muhammad Bilal May 16, 2019

Hi @Svante Jacobsen ,

If i am correct do you want the field setup on each of the request example '' Time to resolve '' you have spend to work around on it ? 

Thank you.

Muhammad BILAL

Svante Jacobsen May 16, 2019

Thanks for replying! It's the Log Time for the issue. Now its mouse aiming/clicking somewhere in the upper right area of the issue: [...] / [Log time].

Every time we do work on an issue we have to do this. That's many, many times a day.

Like Krishen Greenwell likes this
Krishen Greenwell December 11, 2020

I, like Svante, need to log time many, many times a day, and having a simpler way to do this would be extremely helpful.

Like # people like this
Koen Cornelis January 25, 2022

same here, used to be a "w" shortcut.  Please restore that.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer