Linking two Jira Instances, What kind of customization / control can be configured?

Vera Soons July 22, 2020

We are looking into the option to link two jira instances. I did read this is possible through following website; 

<https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/using-applinks-to-link-to-other-applications-938846918.html>

Though I couldn't find information about the options to customize or control which projects/issues/fileds/etc. would get integrated. Can this be managed?

2 answers

0 votes
Jose Lobo (Solutions Architect at Exalate)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2020

Hello Vera,

From what you describe you are looking for, it looks like this guide will answer your question:

I hope this helps you,

Jose

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2020

Hello @Vera Soons ,

Thanks for reaching out, and when it comes to application linking two Jira instances its user based access control that decides what is shown. A user either has access to the data source controlled by the local permissions or the information is not displayed in the remote location.

As an example if a user in Jira instance 1 has browse project permission on Jira Instance 2 and 1  then an issue from the two different instances and projects are linked then that user will be able to see the issue details for that linked issue when authenticated on both applications as well as navigate between the two issue and instances.

on the contrary if a user only has access to the issue on instance 1 but no access on instance 2 then no details are shown to that user as they do not have permission from the data source.

As for security levels on the permissions there are project level permissions and issue level security avaliable but there is not any field level security for the reasons described in this feature request:

Regards,
Earl

Vera Soons August 4, 2020

hi @Earl McCutcheon 

Thanks for your reply!
So, if I understand correctly all this access control is completely configurable. also when linking 2 instances of projects?

and one more question, is it also manageable what projects/issues/fields/ etc. get synced between the linked projects? 

Thanks,
Vera 

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

Hi @Vera Soons ,

The App-link will allow the two Jira systems to communicate and display information from the other data source, but there is not going to be any shared data synchronization between the two systems other than remote issue links, i.e. a issue link to a remote issue on the other instance can create a reciprocal link back to the source issue so the data is shown on both sides. 

Each Jira instance is going to retain independent setups and configurations, but allows sharing data visibility between the two sites, if you are looking for a way to synchronize data and project configurations between multiple instances you would need to look into third party add-ons.  

Something like "Issue SYNC - Integration for Jira" or "Backbone Issue Sync for Jira" or "Exalate Jira Issue Sync & more" are a few that can do this.

Regards,
Earl

Like Vera Soons likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events