Jira workflow post function on Secret Internet Protocol Router Network (SIPRNet)

Stacey Cook July 16, 2020

I am using a post function in my workflow on a government Secret Internet Protocol Router Network (SIPRNet).  The post function works perfectly when sending e-mails to a single e-mail, multiple e-mails separated by a comma, and a single distribution list.  

When attempting to send to a nested distribution (multiple distribution lists within a distribution list) the post function does not perform.  Has anyone experienced this? 

The nested distribution list that I am using is successful when sending e-mails directly from outlook.  

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2020

Assuming you are using exchange on the back end, check the settings of the Distribution list. There is a setting to allow to deny sending to the list from outside addresses. Sending from Jira is considered an outside address. (its not using the outlook client) so the list needs to allow it.

Stacey Cook July 16, 2020

Hi Andrew.  Thank you for your response.  I had IT verify that both the Jira e-mail account and the sender's e-mail has permissions to send to send to the distribution list.  I'm wondering if the size of the distribution list matters.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2020

If they are checking the user, then they are checking the wrong thing. Exchange doesnt validate the user on SMTP connections. The list has to explicitly allow sending from outside. Try sending to it from a outside account (gmail etc) and see if that works. (if you can, to be fair, I dont know much about SIPRNet)

Beyond that, what post function are you using to send the mail? Native jira doesn't have a "send mail" post function by default. 

In general, there are going to be two options.

1: You aren't actually sending to a distro list, you are sending to a group. The group has to be defined in jira. In that case, jira will actually send to each member of the group individually if they have permission  to see the issue.

2: You are using some addin that can send mail outside of jira's normal channel. In this case, you are sending to a single email address. Jira doesn't know (or care) that it is a distribution list. It sends a mail to a single address and the mail server is responsible for distributing it. In this case, there isnt much you can do from the jira side. You have to check your mail server.

Without knowing more about how you are sending the mail its hard to determine the issue.

Lara Arthur June 8, 2022

@Stacey Cook I know this post is years old, but I just came across the same issue using a ScriptRunner post-function and using nested distro's. Did you solve this? And if so, can you share what you ended up having to do? 

Suggest an answer