Jira won't find anybody when adding permissions

Jim Strange September 27, 2019

So I'm a site admin on our Jira cloud instance. There's nothing I can't do, on any project.

Or so I thought. Because today, I created a new project, and when I went to allocate permissions in the project settings, Jira is refusing to match any users or groups. I've been through every letter of the alphabet and it keeps telling me that "we can't find that person on {company}.atlassian.net."

So I went to some other projects, and I'm getting the same results. Other admins in my organisation can do this just fine, it's just me for some reason.

Can anybody offer a clue as to what's wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

Hey Jim,

My first thought is that being a site admin is not the same as being a Jira Admin or Systems Admin. Site admin lets you add people to groups and generally manage users and groups - but not alter schemes, like the permission scheme. 

Also, not exactly sure what you mean when you say allocate permission in the project settings - are you doing it with the People option? Or with the Permission Scheme? 

In the Permission scheme - who has privileges to Browse Project? 

Jim Strange September 27, 2019

Hi John,

I'm not trying to change the permission scheme, I just want to add already-defined groups to the project settings, against the existing project roles. I'm not trying to add specific people or groups to the permission scheme - although I have done this before so I know it's not an access problem.

I'm also able to add issue types, workflows and schemes, and all that good stuff - but today Jira won't acknowledge the existence of any user or groups.

As a litmus test, I've gone into a project of which I'm a member (as opposed to by dint of being an admin) and tried to '@' someone in a comment. Jira gives me no options.

All of which leads me to think there's a fundamental problem with my profile, so I'll raise a support call with Atlassian.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

Yeah, that sounds weird for sure. Might make sure you are an Administrator on the Project itself - although you probably already are. Might want to check the permission scheme for who is given permission for Assignable User under Issue Permissions. 

bradly.dunbar October 16, 2019

Having the same issue, was in the middle of the day and it switched from me being able to administer then all of a sudden jira stopped letting me. I entered a ticket yet have had no contact back yet.

Were you able to get this resolved?

Jim Strange October 17, 2019

Hi, yes. The problem was that some cheeky monkey had removed the permissions for me to find other users. Not sure why that happened, but as a site admin I was able to just re-grant myself the permissions.

Suggest an answer