Jira exports unrecognized characters when I go to import CSV files

TC December 2, 2021

I export a table from jira, then when I go to import it with modifications, there is a black diamond with a questionmark in each table box. The only solution I have found is to literally manually put a space where each of those where. So when the tables are huge, that is way too tedious, especially across multiple tickets. The file encoding is correct as UTF-8 on import. I already tried pasting it into notepad then back into excel. And using new excel sheets. I've deleted the question marks then hit the "text" button on the description box and then copied and pasted. This is a huge pain because we're creating hundreds of tickets that have tables. 

ex: 

|Cam| | | |

turns into

|Cam|�|�|�|

1 answer

0 votes
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2021

In my experience Excel saves CSV's in the encoding you OS is using. For me that is Windows-1252 (= ANSI)

After saving/ exporting the csv please check the encoding of the file and use it in the jira import wizard.
I usually open the file in notepad++ where you can check the encoding a the bottom right. See these screenshots for examples:

2021-12-03 13_48_02.png

2021-12-03 13_46_39-.png

Suggest an answer