Jira board column status ignoring workflow status

David Thingsaker September 4, 2018

Jira gives an ability to create custom workflows, which I have done. Creating some new statuses and assigned these the generic attribute of 'To Do', 'In Progress' and 'Done'.

Eg. I have created the status 'Scheduled' and assigned added this to the generic 'To Do' attribute making it grey.

In my Jira board however, because 'Scheduled' is the 2nd swim lane it automatically gets given the status of 'In Progress' - ignoring my workflow. This means the Spring Health gadgets regard 'Scheduled' tickets as 'In Progress' when in fact they should still be to do. This becomes a bigger issue with 'Blocked' which should be to do but is in progress which throws off the reporting quite significantly. 

Is there a way to either have the board obey the attribute given in the workflow, or change the status of a swim lane.

1 answer

0 votes
Mesut Yilmazyildirim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

I'm not sure what your real problem is but try to edit the swimlaness under;

Active Sprint >> Board >> Configure >> Swimlaness

David Thingsaker September 4, 2018

Thank you for responding, however the only option there is what to base the swim lanes on. The problem is that Jira assume that column 1 is 'to do' and the last column is 'Done' with all other columns in the middle 'in progress'.

Mesut Yilmazyildirim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

You can also reorder columns under; 

Active Sprint >> Board >> Configure >> Columns

Suggest an answer