Jira Project Automation trigger for custom field

Tommy Rosberg May 31, 2022

I need to set up a Project Automation that triggers when the value of a custom field is changed. How do I express the field I need for my trigger? The example below is one of many attempts that does not work.

JiraProjAutoTrig_CustomField.png

1 answer

0 votes
Alberto Salvante
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2022

Hi Tommy and welcome to the Community!

Can you please share screenshot of the option for that selection?

I suggest you to take a look at this page.

Have you tried something like this {{fieldChange}} ?

Hope it helps.

Best,
Alberto

Tommy Rosberg May 31, 2022

It's a fairly long list of fields. The one I am looking for is not among them. (As far as I understand this particular field is defined in Insight but has been made accessible on Issues in Jira.)

JiraProjAutoTrig_Fields.png

This is my first attempt with Project Automations and I haven't really tried much else than typing in the filed selection dialog.

Alberto Salvante
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2022

Hi Tommy,

can you please share the configuration of that field? You can see details about the field in admin settings --> issues --> custom field and search it by name.

Best,
Alberto

Tommy Rosberg June 1, 2022

Hello Alberto.

Thank you for helping me out.

I'm not completely sure what you are asking for but I'm sharing an image with you. Let's see if this is what you need. Please guide me if it is not. I do not have Administrator privileges on system level so I need to dispatch any requests for additional information to others.

cf11302_config.png

Alberto Salvante
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2022

Hi Tommy,

yes this is exactly what I was asking you ^^

I think you should take a look at this article 

Do you see this action in the automation options?

Screen+Shot+2021-08-06+at+14.22.54.png

Best,
Alberto

Tommy Rosberg June 1, 2022

Thanks Alberto.

I've read the article and I do not have the "Edit Insight field attributes option" under "New Action". However, I'm not trying to update an Insight field. I want to trigger an updated on a regular filed when an Insigh field is modified.

I tested my automation using a different field (Description) as trigger and that worked. The problem is that I cannot get the automation to trigger with the custom field I want to use.

Suggest an answer