Jira Issue Collector Question

Olga Toverovskaya December 27, 2021
  1. hi there, desperately trying to figure this out.  please help, thank you in advance!!!

My former colleague created an issue collector that displayed on its own page and not through a trigger button.  I'm told he just provided the static REST URL and Collector ID, whatever that means. 

This old issue collector no longer works, I need to replace his issue collector with my own from the HTML page (embedding the HTML/javascript that Jira provides didn't work).  The button solution that Atlassian offer doesn't work with our UI (even though it works) but I need to pop open a new page that displays the issue collector without the button.  

This is related to the erroneously closed issue JRASERVER-66220

Atlassian, pretty please, could you please fix it?!!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Olga Toverovskaya December 30, 2021

Hi Angelica, is there anything else I can do to expedite getting this fixed?  

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 31, 2021

Hi Olga,

Feel free to add a comment on the Bug ticket with the details of how it affects your environment.

For now, we must wait for our developer team to work on the bug fix. If they have updates, they will post them on the description of the ticket.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2021

Hello @Olga Toverovskaya,

Thank you for reaching out to the Atlassian Community!

According to the details you provided and also the bug ticket you mentioned, we believe that the issue you are facing is related to another bug.

We saw you posted a new question and mentioned that the Jira version you are using is v8.1.x and the bug below affects this version:

Please, click on “This affects my team” and also watch the ticket above to receive updates from our dev team. 

Kind regards,
Angélica

Olga Toverovskaya December 28, 2021

Hi Angelica, I don't see the "this affects my team' option?  Do you know if a fix will be developed any time soon?  This is a huge deal for a very large organization.  

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 29, 2021

Hi Olga,

You need to be logged in on https://jira.atlassian.com/ to view the option. Once you log in, you will be able to see the “This affects my team” and also the watch option on the right side.

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 09.22.51.png

There are many factors that our dev team takes into consideration to fix the bugs. For more information, please, check our policy below:

Olga Toverovskaya December 29, 2021

Hi Angelica, it sounds like it's not very likely this is going to be addressed; or at least that it would be addressed immediately, right?  

I still don't see the option "This affects my team", despite being logged in.  Here is what's available under People:  

Picture1.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 30, 2021

Hi Olga,

The bug is still on “Gathering impact”, so we don’t know when it will be fixed. 

Thanks for sharing the screenshot, you already clicked on “This affects my team”, that’s why the option is not visible anymore.

Screen Recording 2021-12-30 at 09.34.59 AM.gif

Olga Toverovskaya January 6, 2022

@AngelicaLuz, there are thousands of people impacted in my organization alone, not to mention the 12 other orgs that commented on this issue over the past 2 years.  How many people need to raise an issue for Atlassian to prioritize this and get it resolved?  Could you please let me know.  Thank you in advance. Olga

here is another example where users complained in the past: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-you-direct-link-to-an-Issue-Collector/qaq-p/764328

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 7, 2022

Hi @Olga Toverovskaya 

Voting on an issue on our bug tracker is one input to our development team about where to prioritize our efforts, but this is not the only factor Atlassian takes into account. Our server Bug Fix Policy better explains this.  Currently there is no clear time table on if or when there might be a fix to that bug ticket.

From reviewing this thread, it sounds like your team was using the issue collector in an unsupported manner. As such configuring the issue collector in this manner is outside the scope of Atlassian support.  That said, we do have a server specific document that goes into more depth about Advanced use of the Jira issue collector.  It can be helpful here because it explains some of the other ways that the issue collector can be triggered.

Can you tell us more about why the default javascript trigger cannot be included on the page in question?  Perhaps if we can learn more about your environment here (such as the page/application where the issue collector is expected to be embedded to), there might be another solution to found here in Community.  It would also be helpful if we can learn exactly what version of Jira Server you are using here.

But again, the previous ability of directly calling the issue collector via a direct URL is/was an unsupported configuration that Atlassian cannot support.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Olga Toverovskaya February 2, 2022

Hi @Andy Heinzer and @Angélica Luz!  Thank you for the info and apologies for the delayed reply, I was down with the 'rona. 

Why the default javascript trigger cannot be used: I'm integrating Jira into a web application with a huge user base that has its own UI and one that doesn't use buttons.  So stylistically, buttons simply don't work.  We already have a Provide Feedback link and I need to have it point to my Jira issue collector.   

Jira Version: Our version of Jira is 8.16.1 and I'm working with an on-prem instance.

Advanced Use of Jira Issue Collector: this page seem to have good info for triggering different issue collectors but they all use #feedback-button where what I need is a simple link.  I guess the button has a listener that triggers the issue collector script to run but I need my link to run the script and open the issue collector.  

I'm really stuck on this issue b/c stylistics are a deal breaker for the organization and my team's only role is to manage user feedback.  Unless we're able to figure this out, I'm afraid that we'll have to explore Jira alternatives but I just can't imagine that a workaround doesn't exist.      

Please help!!  Thank you in advance. Olga

Olga Toverovskaya May 30, 2022

@Anna Przybycień really hoping this is related to

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-70563

that you just marked as ‘In Progress’

There are literally hundreds of Jira users feeling stranded without a way forward.  We need to expose issue collectors without the friendly trigger button.  Will you be the hero we’ve been waiting for?! 

i think we would buy you a lifetime of starbucks.

olga

Anna Przybycień
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2022

Hi @Olga Toverovskaya!

My fix will enable opening custom issue collectors through the direct link, as described in this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-access-issue-collector-form-without-embedding-it-in-a-page-826872619.html 

The link opens issue collector in a separate tab.
There are two bugs mentioned on the page, the fix introduced will be addressing both of them. I'll update the tickets with Jira version that the fix will be in once it's confirmed.

Suggest an answer