Jira Insight (Assets) allow attribute to include child object types

mnd April 5, 2023

In setting up an Object Schema in Jira Insight, I would like to be able to select child object types in an attribute field.

For example, I have an Object Type called "Location", which will be an abstract parent. There will be three child types called: Desk, Off Site, and Server Room. Each of these are separate types of locations, but all indicate where an asset can be located. In my "Computer" object type, I would like to have an attribute called "Location" which has a Type of "Object", and set it to the parent object type "Location".

After setting this up, I can only select Location objects in this field. What I want is to be able to select a Desk, Server Room, or Off Site location.

Is this possible?

Object Types

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 10.42.02 AM.png

Computer Attribute

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 10.42.12 AM.png

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rick Westbrock June 23, 2023

TL;DR enable the "Include Children" option in the object attribute in order to select objects from child object types.

include-children.png

I have the same use case for locations where my Site object type is abstract and I have three child object types. 

Below you can see the object type and its children:

object-type-hierarchy.png

Below is a list of objects in my Person class where the Site Object object attribute is configured for the Site abstract object type and you can see there is a mix of Club and Corporate Office objects:

object-attribute-showing-child-object-types.png

mnd June 26, 2023

This is great, I don't know how I missed this. Thank you :-)

Rick Westbrock June 26, 2023

No problem, as I recall I ended up having to raise a Support case and the agent pointed out I hadn't enabled that option. :) 

James August 2, 2023

Thanks Rick and mnd. I had the exact same issue and this solved it for me too.

Like mnd likes this
Marius Fassbender April 3, 2024

Is this a Cloud / On Premise thing again?

I'm using the Cloud version and can't find this setting.

Rick Westbrock April 4, 2024

We are on Cloud, the trick is that you have to do this on the reference attribute, not on the "target" object type.

In the example I provided above my Person object type has a Site reference attribute which is linked to the Site object type. I click the meatball for the Site reference attribute and select Configure which is what displays the dialog box with the "Include Children" option.

configure-include-children.png

Like Marius Fassbender likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

No, the attribute reference can only be a 1-to-1 relation, so you cannot set the attribute to reference Desk, Server Room or Off Site, you have to pick one of the three. And you if you would create the location as an abstract object schema your reference cannot use that to pick objects, it would show up as an empty list.

mnd April 5, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg thanks so much for the response. Do you know of any other way to handle this type of situation? The two less-than-ideal solutions I can think of are:

1. Do not group the different types of locations, just make them all as a "Location" object. Possibly include a naming convention prefix.
  2. Keep the 3 sub-types of location and create 3 attributes on the asset to specify where it is located.

Thanks again.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

I would probably go with your first option, and either use a label or a prefix like you suggested.

mnd April 5, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg by "label" do you mean another attribute on the object type, or is there a label feature that I'm missing? Thanks.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

Another attribute, that way you can use a filter to say only show desk.

mnd April 5, 2023

Thanks for your help!

For anyone else who comes across this, I tested out the #1 option above. All types of locations were stored under the "Location" object type and used a prefix, such as "Server Room". Each location also had a "Type" attribute added, and required a value of: Desk, Off Site, or Server Room. When I associate an asset with one of these locations, I can then filter them down based on the Location.Type field, which is an advanced IQL query that looks like this:

"Location"."Type" = "Server Room"

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
José Nogueira January 25, 2024

I know this is quite an old topic, but here is my input in case it fits anyone.

For CLOUD version I have a similar case, but approached it in a kinda mix of both options 1 and 2.

DEVICES object set as (equivalent to the here mentioned LOCATION):

- abstract

- pass all attributes to child object types

- have an attribute to label/ID as in the child objects (as per my sample e.g. Laptops, ...)

- has all the required attributes for all child objects

CHILD objects set as:

- having DEVICES object as parent

- no distinct attributes among any (attributes are filled as per CHILD object's requirements - hence, some are empty on child A but filled on child B... this can be tricky to validate though)

As we can see in this pic from my Sandbox trial envoronment, all child objects are automatically replicated in the parent object, and those can be reached from either querying a child object, or the parent one (filtering by the label/ID attribute if needed).

Hope this helps someone

Cheers 

Screenshot 2024-01-25 090356.png

Suggest an answer