Jira / Confluence and Bamboo stopped working with Chrome

Elias Balasis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2020

On my self-hosted Atlassian suite, I have unexpectedly stopped being able to authenticate with my credentials.

After having struggled for quite a while, considering all possible scenarions including a data breach, I finally figured out the problem was only reproducible under Chrome browser.

This is rather ridiculous and Atlassian should fix this ASAP.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Elias Balasis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2020

Further investigation has revealed this is a problem with the browser cache.

After clearing the Chrome browser cache the Atlassian applications became accessible again.

I have observed similar issues with other software with server-side software instructing the browser to cache certain resources breaking user experience in future versions.

I cannot figure out though why this happened suddenly without having upgraded the Atlassian applications.

In short, I do appreciate that caching can reduce traffic and improve speed but it can break user experience and force users to clear the browser cache which may contain useful information and browser cookies used in other web-sites, not improving the user experience.

Suggest an answer