JQL: All epic where stories of my project are connected

Daan Boesjes June 7, 2021

How to write a query for the following situation:

I have project A, with many stories. Some of the stories have epic links to epics in projects B, C, D…..

What I need is an overview of all epics, from all projects, where project A stories are  connected

Suggestions more than welcome

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Daan Boesjes 

What do you mean by "an overview of all epics"?

If you only need some basic counts, you could create a simple filter, save it, and then show it on a dashboard with the two-dimensional filter gadget.  Such a filter could be:

project = myProject_A AND "Epic Link" IS NOT EMPTY

Please add more criteria, as needed.

Best regards,

Bill

Daan Boesjes June 7, 2021

Hi Bill

I had difficulty stating exactely what I need.  Later I found a topic with more or less the same question, so hopefully this explain better what I need.

What I mean is : im trying to find in JQL all Epics, accross all projects,  that one of his children are in the same project as Im woking on

For example:

My Project = a.

Epic = a1
Children of a1 : Story = a2, Story = a5, story b3

result: I want epic a1 selected.

===
My Project = a

Another project =b
Epic = b1
Children of b1 : Story = a2, Story = b5, story b3

result: I want epic b1 selected.

===
My Project = a

Another project =c
Epic = c1
Children of c1 : Story = c2, Story = c5, story b3

result: I don't want epic c1 selected.

In the end I will use this selection in a board, so I can see where my team is involved across all projects in my organisation.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

@Daan Boesjes thanks for clarifying!

With out-of-the-box JQL you cannot create a query like that.  (JQL isn't a full SQL.)  You would need to purchase a marketplace addon to build that query for a board.  There may be free addons which can do this, also found in the marketplace.

If you are unable to purchase/use an addon, an elaborate work-around could be:

I haven't tried this, and I expect it will work to dynamically update the filter of epics on the board.

Daan Boesjes June 10, 2021

Thx BIll

I will look into available addons. Confirmation that is is not possible with standard JQL saves me hours of frustrating work.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer