JIRA & ScriptRunner Cloud: How to make field "Story Points" read-only?

Deleted user June 22, 2021

I used an automation described here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/Sum-up-Story-points-to-epic/qaq-p/1389224 to automatically sum up the Story Points on my Stories and update the linked Epic.

I would now like to make the "Story Points" field on the Epic read-only so that nobody accidentially overwrite the automated summing up from the Stories.

I did a little research and saw that this could be achieved with ScriptRunner Behaviours, but that is only available for the Server version, not the Cloud. So I am wondering whether there's a different alternative for the Cloud version or any other possibility how I can make the "Story Points" field on Epics read-only?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2021

Hi @[deleted] - If your Story points of Stories sum up to Epic, then remove the Story points field from your Epic's edit and create screen which will make them read only. You need to have it on view screen though. You do not have script runner behaviors in JIRA Cloud. 

Deleted user June 23, 2021

@Niranjan thanks for your hint. I just tried it. It works well for the old issue view. The problem is that with the new issue view there is only one screen to view and edit, see also: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/what-is-the-new-jira-issue-view/

Because of this missing separation of screen your suggestion unfortunately doesn't work.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2021

@[deleted]Just tested. The suggestion from Niranjan works well as of today in Jira Cloud.

I did the following:

- created a new screen (a copy of an existing) where the field which should not be to edited by the users is removed
- assigned the new (copied) screen to the project's corresponding Screen Scheme (assigned the issue action of edit to the new screen)

It works as intended.

For the link you cited, yes, there is a change that happened on Jira Cloud - I just can interpret it in a way that screens are "initially" the same, but you can adjust and make your requirement happen - just give it a test, it works.

Deleted user June 28, 2021

@Daniel Ebers thanks for your input. I just tried it out and it still doesn't work for me. Here are two screenshots that maybe illustrate better what I mean:

Old issue view:

Screenshot 2021-06-28 092416.png

New issue view:

Screenshot 2021-06-28 092424.png

So the behaviour works as expected on the old issue view, but it does not work on the new issue view?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2021

That's weird, in my tests it was displayed but I could not change the value for the field. So you are saying that you can edit "Story Points" in New Issue View although you have a separate screen for "Edit" which is indeed not enlisting the field in your configuration?

If this is a "yes" then our instances differ in behaviour.

Yes @Daniel Ebers, that is exactly what I was trying to explain. I have 2 different screens, one for "View" and one for "Create" and "Edit" - the Story Point is only configured for the "View" screen, but not for the other. It works properly with the old issue view. But on the new issue view I can nevertheless edit the "Story Points" field. 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2021

I am afraid - I cannot reproduce this on my Jira Cloud instance - maybe other Community members can confirm further on what they are seeing.
Sorry to hear it did not work out for your configuration.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Hi @[deleted],

I took a quick look through Atlassian's public bug tracker, and it looks like this has been reported here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75712

I'd recommend voting on this issue and adding any details that are specific to your use case on that bug.

Sorry I can't offer any more help!

-Jimmy

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon for this hint. This exactly describes my problem. I apologize for not doing a more thorough research. I just put my vote on this ticket. Hopefully it's going to be fixed in the future.

Thanks again,

Sabine

0 votes
Slava Gefen March 13, 2024

There is an open Feature Request Bug in Atlassian on the matter
[JRACLOUD-76349] Story Points custom field can be edited/viewed even though the field is removed from the Edit/View screens - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Only the workaround we've set currently is to remove Story Points from all screens, create new number field called 'Story Points number', and put it only on view screen. Every time you update Story Points you also update 'Story Points Number' with Automation.

Behaviors in Cloud makes Story Points read-only only on a Create screen. On an Edit screen it's still editable.

One more thing with the workaround above: you are still able to edit Story Points from boards 😕

Regards
Slava

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events