Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sum up Story points to epic

Hi,

I have many customers that are looking to sum up Story points and other custom number fields from stories to their epics.

Waiting for this feature to be deployed: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-476

The current status is "deployed to cloud" - is it available for use on Jira cloud? what's the chosen code for that?

Thanks,

Elad.

5 answers

This rule works on my case and it may help you.

Overview

00.png

Trigger

01.png

Sum the Story Points

03.png

Edit the Epic Story Points 

04.png

Append the comment

05.png

This works for me. Thank you. 

One question though. How to apply this to more then 1 epic?

The way Carlos has this set up is it works for any epic within the given project you're working with and keys off of as soon as a story point value has been updated that has an epic link.

Well done Carlos, thank you for figuring out this functionality. 

@Carlos - Thank you for the screenshots, however i get an error when I use the syntax for Epic link. Any thoughts, please. 

1 vote

Hi @Elad Ben-Noam ,

Thanks for your message. John from the automation team here. 

This new feature has indeed shipped last week. We are just putting a blog together right now to inform customers. 

We will also be running through this new feature in a webinar on June 11th: https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/how-to-supercharge-your-automation-in-jira-cloud 

Below is the smart value you could use. However, keep in mind that at the moment it will only work for summing up subtasks to the parent rather than stories to the Epic. 

2156cf3c-f624-42ab-b451-a4fc87777e9c.pngHope that helps but any questions, just let me know.

John 

That is great! @John McKiernan when is it planned to add support for summing up values from stories on epic level?

Glad it solves a problem @Sebastian Nordin !

I haven't got a date for this just yet but will make sure to update this page once that ships :) 

Like Sebastian Nordin likes this

Hi John  - Any updates on when JIRA will support summing up values from stories/tasks/sub-tasks on epic level?

Like Mykenna Cepek likes this

I'm afraid not @Sameer P though if you check out the comments on this post from the engineer who built it, you might find a workaround: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/How-to-sum-up-logged-hours-using-automation-in-Jira-Cloud/ba-p/1409115

0 votes

removed - posted mistakenly

Epic status by Story Points report in Jira that can also be displayed in Confluence

• I can solve this in Jira Server edition.  But you need to have deployed Dataplane reporting plugin
  • See bottom of this link with "Alex Fairweather" reply and configuration instructions

In the meantime, you can see total number of story points on an epic by following these steps:

1. From your board, click Backlog.
  2. Click Epics panel.
  3. Click on an epic. You will see total story points for all tickets in the selected epic that are in the same Jira project as the epic. Any ticket with a different issue key will not be included in the total. In the example (screenshot) MGRMODS-208 has 9 issues but only 4 are also MGRMODS issues and those tickets total 26 story points.

Epic total points.png

John McKiernan Can you please confirm the above is the right way to get the total story points on an epic?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Automation

New to Jira Automation - goodbye Cron (sort of), hello new project created trigger, new additions to

Hey Everyone! Simeon from the Automation team here. I'm delighted to share some new features and improvements that we are shipping to Jira automation (Cloud only). Firstly, @Sam Harding&nbsp...

2,804 views 10 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you