JIRA Releases take on the min start date, and max end date of the stories which are part

Sandy Agafonoff September 9, 2018

I have begun scheduling releases, and have had trouble setting the start and end date.

It is not a timezone issue, and today I realised it was setting the start of the release to be equal to the earliest start date for a story which has been marked as part of the release. Similarly, the end date does not extend past the furthest end date, for our set of stories.

I am curious, why does the release not respect the har constraints of the start and end time I supplied?

Is there any way to prevent the release from absorbing these dates from the stories? It seems strange that I cannot have a story I started 6 weeks ago, then out on hold, and now made part of a new release, without it affecting the date range of the release.

If I simply bulk update every story i the sprint to have the start of the sprint as the start date, will I affect other reporting?

Is there any real need for start and end date on stories if you are using points? Can I remove these fields from being active?

1 answer

1 vote
Troy Spetz September 10, 2018

We use JIRA 7.11 server version.

We set the start and end date of the FixVersion. The start date is used by the Version Report.

Issues are completed within 2-week sprints -- without using start/end dates on each issue.

Doing this, does not modify or interfere with the release start/end dates.

More information here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/managing-versions-938847201.html

Sandy Agafonoff September 12, 2018

It turned out to be an add-on called BigPicture imposing its own custom fields, including start date and end date, and some how, the release was picking up the dates it applied.

To fix it, I removed the project from the scope of the BigPicture program manager and releases can be created as per normal.

Suggest an answer