JIRA Cloud - only want people to be able to view the tickets they raised.

Nikora Terrill February 7, 2021

Hi All,

I am trying to find a way to set up JIRA so that users can only view the Issues they raised or are a Watcher of. All of our users need access to create tickets, so I have set the Browse Project open to all with access. But I dont want them to be able to view all other Issues in the project.

Project is a Classic Software Project

What I have done so far;
- created issue security scheme and assigned it to this project

- created 2 security levels in this scheme, "Creators" which is using the "Reporter" user role which is the Default and the other is "Watchers" custom user field "Case Watcher"

I then went and bulk updated all of the current tickets which already existed to the Creator Issue Security (anything DONE would not let me assign anything which is a little annoying). After the bulk update users will not able to see the Issues except for the ones they created.
I added some new tickets but with some users as watchers and they could not see any tickets where they were listed as a Watcher but not reporter.

So I have managed to get it half working, but if someone could let me know what I am doing wrong to get the Watchers to be able to view the tickets that would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hi Nikora - why don't you just create a single Issue Security Level and add two entries - one where the Reporter = currentUser() and one where the Watcher = currentUser()

Then you can apply the same security level to ALL issues. 

Nikora Terrill February 8, 2021

Hi John, Why don't I indeed... /rolleyes

I honestly dont know why I thought it was already like that. I thought they were simply processed in order.

Thank you John!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Each issue can only be attached to a single issue security level. So it can't process both of them. 

Is there a reason my approach won't work for you. 

Sorry I wasnt being sarcastic, I was having a go at myself for my own stupidity :D Your suggestion 100% worked John, thank you.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Haha - I gathered that after I read through it again. I have the same issue with myself sometimes.  :-)

The most important thing is that it is working for you!

Like Nikora Terrill likes this

Yes its a little too common for me, so thank you again John very much appreciated.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2021

Hi @Nikora Terrill 

I guess you answered your own question, the user needs to be in "Case Watcher" user field!

Only then the user can see the issues they are listed in.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Hi, yes the users are in that field.

I added some new tickets but with some users as watchers and they could not see any tickets where they were listed as a Watcher but not reporter.

and that field is listed as a field in the issue security scheme...

There are going to be instances where you add a watcher and they also need to be able to view those Issues also, but right now they cannot.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events