JIRA Cloud emails sent as our company domain fail to pass DMARC authentication

Samir Samir November 13, 2018

After setting up a verified domain under the JIRA Organization (verified all SPF and DKIM settings are correct). We changed the JIRA project to send as our company domain. However, emails coming out of JIRA fail DMARC authentication due to bad DKIM authentication by Atlassian. The DKIM is verified against the atlassian domain and not our company domain. So the DKIM is not aligned and DMARC fails the message so it ends up in Spam or totally rejected.

Headers from email show DKIM is checked against d=atlassian.net and d=sendgrid.info, but nothing about d=mycompanydomain:

dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=QUARANTINE) header.from=mycompanydomain.com

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=atlassian.net; h=from:to:in-reply-to:references:subject:mime-version:content-type; s=s1; bh=4uWfLAkrLO3ENH35Y0WCPV8TY1I=; b=uYVXlxSnslXMbVQWA1Z732k 2ihnhYFrCfVJJLq+v4Ed90xoWVAjuavFm4GFKNvb1WzIMb71rDlKRB4y8sOAC2hi 9Zy2KM5MdsHKTStUoF1C1MmcbqtBFA2fX17ocCZrkfkVPFEUKK7/F41YvX6SKcso wqDnsnAtVfKK1R06LIPg= DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=sendgrid.info; h=from:to:in-reply-to:references:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-feedback-id; s=smtpapi; bh=4uWfLAkrLO3ENH35Y0WCPV8TY1I=; b=GbFkHl8qMdSX4JAy8v y5lyr8bvUVuZvy/l38TZhVtsDdBLxJWH6BL14J3o/pVNkHIrPNxFuSI4jCXmZp8J sOYXltDFIlrcvGgRmasL9RWCqroRdWbRAO1SY9pwwo/8NC/JZazq8QZR1xR9rXUq QYDYKLxHy6I7MZC6elcIm/rPU= R

seems like there is a known issue regarding this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-40169

but for us if this keeps failing then we can't deploy the solution. Has anyone been able to work with Atlassian support to get DKIM to authenticate properly and ultimately pass DMARC.

thx

8 answers

1 vote
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2020

This is odd - we are getting the "Be careful with this message" warning on Gmail in our organization. The message headers show that DKIM, SPF and DMARC all pass but are not sure why it is still showing the error to our users?

Anyone else found the fix or the exact issue on this?

Rune Waage May 5, 2020

Hi, we had the exact same problem and as far as I could see the DKIM validation is done towards the atlassian.net domain and not your company domain used as sender address. we ended up with not using Jira Service Desk much because of this. :(

We are now using Salesforce where we created our own DKIM by a few clicks. This was then added in our company server (DNS) and outbound emails are therefore DKIM validated towards my company domain. No warnings are shown in gmail anymore. 

Lars_Clausen May 5, 2020

We had to change our entire servicedesk to Freshdesk because of the  this issue.

DKIM and SPF was setup in a matter of minutes and is working flawlessly.

Atlasian wants to be the world leader in servicedesk software and yet fails to implement basic email security.....

Patrick Pfähler May 12, 2020

We have the same problem. Therefore we cannot use Service Desk in production...

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2021

Thanks for the responses all ... Is there anyone at Atlassian that is able to feedback with an update on this issue? Seems it is still an issue and a relatively basic issue if I understand correctly after reading the comments too. 

1 vote
Josh Youngblood February 14, 2020

This is still an issue for us as well.  We have tried setting up multiple domains and verifying them and all of them fail the DMARC and end up in Junk/Spam for our customers.  This issue alone will cause us to switch to zendesk.  Customers think we are not responding to help desk tickets since they are in their Junk.

1 vote
Rikard Strand June 3, 2019

I can confirm having the same issue and really want this to be resolved. Atlassian should implement this ASAP in order to be Enterprise compliant. This is actually bread and butter for implementing email security correct.

1 vote
André Vala December 6, 2018

We are facing the same issue in our company,

I have opened a support ticket because this is severely hurting our business.

0 votes
Eric February 11, 2021

I am currently running into this DMARC failure issue when using our company domain for outgoing emails. Is there any resolution in sight?? I am extremely disappointed this doesn't appear to have been addressed yet.

0 votes
Admin1 October 28, 2020

its still an issue. this is unbelievable, two years later and they still dont have their shit setup properly.

0 votes
Lars_Clausen December 19, 2019

Also an issue in our domain. If Atlasian doesn't fix this we have to look elsewhere for a ServiceDesk

0 votes
Micha Brans September 5, 2019

Same here, emails are ending up in Junk mail and so they are not read by the user :-(

Suggest an answer