Issue with Priority Field - How to update in JPD

Abby Kiesling May 12, 2023

Right now, I do not have a priority field in the Jira Product Discovery project, but the field still seems to exist in some respect.  I know this because my Idea tickets are linked to tickets in other projects and the priority shows on the preview.  This is a huge issue, because it's defaulting to "Blocker" which is our HIGHEST priority, and it's confusing my team. 

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 4.04.11 PM.png

The field itself does not exist in the ticket anywhere visible.  I've tried creating a field (even though I didn't see that working...) and of course, that didn't associate to the field I am trying to update.  

I saw this article - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-questions/Where-is-the-Priority-Field/qaq-p/2027798 and it did not address my issue.  

How can I either update this priority field or hide it from showing when a Product ticket is linked to another project's ticket?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2023

Hi @Abby Kiesling,

As described in the question your are referring to, Jira Product Discovery is based on Team Managed Projects and here and there gaps still exist in the setup.

While the priority field is present on the screen that you can use to create an idea, it is nowhere available on the edit screen, which means the priority that was set initially cannot be updated later on (for now). I think too that should be fixed and it may be worth sending this feedback to the team via in product feedback ( @Tanguy Crusson fyi).

Inside JPD, priority is no longer visible and not the key element to prioritise ideas. To reduce misunderstanding, it may be worth communicating this issue to your collaborators/creators so they adopt the practice to use a standard (lower) priority when they create ideas.

Hope this helps!

Abby Kiesling May 15, 2023

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout .  Is it possible to set a default for JPD tickets?

Abby Kiesling May 15, 2023

Also do you know if there's already a bug ticket for the Jira team to address this issue?  I couldn't find it, but I'm not that familiar with how to search for specific bugs. 

Bob Coates July 17, 2023

I found this ticket when trying to understand and resolve the same issue.  I've just started trying to utilize JPD.

In my case, I created a new JPD project and it auto-generated 9 Ideas to showcase/explore JPD features.  Those 9 Ideas were by default assigned an OpsGenie Priority that our team uses.  This in turn generated 9 notifications to our on-call team.  This is a HUGE problem for us, especially when OpsGenie pings an international team member in the middle of their night.  When creating an idea from the project All Ideas page, it doesn't offer me a place to set the initial Priority.

Our instance settings have a default Priority of "Normal."  JPD project settings mention nothing of Priorities, presumably because Priorities are not formally supported in JPD, as noted above.

FWIW, @Walter Buggenhout noted that "priority that was set initially cannot be updated later on" which we found not to be the case.  It's not available to change from any view in JPD (that I've found anyway), but I was able to change it by opening the Idea ticket from the regular Issue Navigator (Filter > View all issues).  

I echo @Abby Kiesling's question - How can we change the default Priority for JPD tickets?  Even if we cannot or choose not to use it, let us set the default Priority in the project or at least abide by the default setting for the instance!  This will be reported via JPD Feedback, but perhaps someone has figured it out.  I'm working with our team to see if we can't modify our Priorities settings as a workaround for now.

Abby Kiesling July 18, 2023

"FWIW, @Walter Buggenhout _ACA IT_ noted that "priority that was set initially cannot be updated later on" which we found not to be the case.  It's not available to change from any view in JPD (that I've found anyway), but I was able to change it by opening the Idea ticket from the regular Issue Navigator (Filter > View all issues).  "

WHAT! AMAZING!  Thank you for this, @Bob Coates !!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events