Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the Priority Field?

Brent Cooper May 13, 2022

Hello!  When an idea is being created, there is a Priority option on the input. However, once the idea is created, I am unable to bring in the Priority field in.  This would be helpful to sort by!  Any advice?

Thanks!  I am loving JIRA Product Discovery, and working hard right now to build this out for our team to use for product discovery and prioritization. 

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2022

Hi everyone! 

As you know Jira Product Discovery is still in beta, and as part of this we took a few shortcuts. One of them is email/in-app notifications - right now it sends the same notifications as you'd get in a team-managed Jira Software project, and the notification messages just follow the template used in these projects. 

That means that "priority" is the Jira Software priority (which is not present in Jira Product Discovery projects) shows in these email notifications. Instead we need to show fields that make sense as part of this discovery project in email notifications - and it's going to be "default fields" for the idea that you can configure when opening an idea. 

We plan to address things like this (notifications, permissions, etc.) on our way to GA. 

Cheers,
Tanguy

Jonathan Hau May 16, 2022

Ah, this explains everything! Thanks Tanguy!

Like # people like this
Dana Weinbaum November 12, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Hi,

I wonder if there's an update on this?

1) I don't want email notifications to include the priority field that we don't use, and 

2) If we must have it, I would like to customize it to be LOW, as currently the default is CRITICAL. Where do I do that?

Thanks

Dana

3 votes
Onur Asci January 6, 2023

Hey, I understand current limitations but give us the option to remove this field at least to reduce confusion on non-technical people. 

2 votes
Minesh Patel May 13, 2022

There is no priority order per se on the Ideas page.

However, the roadmap is prioritized by dragging the cards up and down within the Now, Next, Later.

We added a custom field and used that for the person that manages it. However, the correct way is to use the F(x) tool to calculate the measure and use that as the true prioritizing mechanism.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Minesh!  I am not using the Now, Next Later...I deleted this option and I am choosing to sort my views by other options. 

0 votes
Jonathan Hau May 13, 2022

The default value that JPD uses for Priority field is the "Priority Score". In the List view, you'd simply need to click "Fields" up top, then to the right, click "Add Field" to display the "Priority Score" field in your columns. Then you can drag and drop the column wherever you'd like. 

The "Priority Score" field won't be of any value, until you have inputted at least some sort of score into your "Effort" and "Goal Impact" fields.

Thanks Jonathan, I am not seeing the Priority Score in the options to add for fields to play around with it. But when an idea is created, it appears this is being set. See in the attachment the email I get as the Project Lead when someone creates an idea. Notice it is defaulting to "High" priority, but this does not become available to use once it is an idea. 

Priority.png

Forgive me if you already checked, but in looking at the breadcrumbs of your notification email, it appears this (IDEA project) may not be a Jira Product Discovery Project type. I can't see it because your screenshot doesn't show it, but in the upper left of your project under the name of your "Digital Product Planning" name does it say "Discovery Project" ?

Ha, yes I am using Product Discovery.  IDEA is the my Product Discovery Key, so all items that are created in Product Discovery start off as an IDEA. 

Ok - that sounds like this is a possible bug then, if it's not displaying in the Fields list.

OR it is already being displayed but the "Eye" icon is toggled, which hides it from view. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events