Issue has been created but is not currently visible.

Maja Scherman April 11, 2023

I'm trying to configure a board that works for my team, and we'd like a kanban board where new issues appear in the todo column, and then we could move it to a backlog when necessary. 

It's a team managed project and I am a project administrator. 

I've activated the backlog in the project settings > feature section. And now we have a kanban board and a backlog just as I want. Only problem is that when creating new issues I get the "Your issue OOO-X has been created but not visible on board" error and I can find it in the backlog.Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 10.12.01.png

I've read a lot of other people having similar but not the same issues regarding not having issues not getting visible but those questions often end up in access management or status configuration. I don't think that's applicable in this case, my columns and statuses are all mapped, and I have permission to create issues.

If I create the issue directly in the TODO column, it remains there. It appears when I create issues from the create button at the top.

How do I make the newly created issue appear in the TODO column while still having a backlog available? 

2 answers

0 votes
Josie.Zvelebilova September 11, 2023

Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same boat with a team-managed project. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Hi Maja - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

When you create an issue, it goes to the first Status in your workflow. That is typically the Backlog status. But that status is not in the first column of the board if you implement the Backlog function. 

So, you need to create an Automation rule to transition the issue to the next status after the Backlog. Basically a trigger based on Issue Created for the project, then a new action to Transition Issue - and then select the next status in the workflow. 

Or you can change your workflow to go to this status when created, instead of the Backlog. Just make sure that you have transitions to AND from the Backlog status to the next status no matter which option above you decide to do. 

Hi John! Thank you for answering. My first status is TODO and the backlog isn't even visible in the workflow. Is that still what I am supposed to do? I'd love for the workflow to work as when a new issue is created it actually pops up as a TODO. It has the status TODO and everything, it just isn't visible in the board but in the backlog. I can't see anything about the backlog in the board configuration really.image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

That's probably because the TO DO status is mapped to the Backlog column. You need to add a status of BACKLOG between the Create transition and the TO DO status. Make sure you add a transition from TO DO back to BACKLOG if you want to move the issues back and forth. All of that assumes you want to use the Backlog function/logic. If not, you can turn that off and the issues will show immediately on the board. 

But if you use the Backlog function, you will need to modify the workflow like mentioned above, and then create the Automation rule like mentioned above. 

Like Maja Scherman likes this

Thank you but I still can't figure it out.

How do you add a backlog column that is mapped to the backlog? I did the workflow thing you mentioned but since the backlog isn't mapped to anything but the unassigned status I don't know how to get it to work.image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Oh yeah, forgot you were using Team-managed project. It is probably forcing the first Status into the Backlog section. If that is the case, you will need to change the workflow to use the Backlog from the Create transition. Then you could do the Automation rule for the auto-transition. 

Like Maja Scherman likes this

I've manually removed the backlog status I added (that wasn't mapped to the backlog) and reset it to how it was. 

I can't find the backlog section you mention. There's nothing there. So I can't change to use the backlog from the create transition. Because it's like the backlog doesn't exist in the workflow at all.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

You might try turning off the Backlog function and then turning it back on. I am not sure what built-in functionality that Team-managed projects are using for setting up the Backlog function. But I would assume it would use the first Status in your workflow. 

Can you post your current working workflow now? 

Maja Scherman April 12, 2023

Hi John. I appreciate your help and I'm completely lost to how to do this. I did the turn on and off again to no effect. Same behaviour. This is my workflow and statuses. There's no backlog to be found (even though it is activated).

image.pngimage.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2023

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Basically, you are going to be very limited using Team-managed projects (and therefore boards) to do that type of work. Your best bet would be to create a second board and see if that helps. Here is an article that will help walk you through how to do that. Give it a like if it helps.  :-)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Creating-a-Second-Agile-Board-for-Team-Managed-or-JIra-Work/ba-p/2115018

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events