Issue Progress Bar in Percentage

Dan April 19, 2023

Hello, 

I would like to know how I can setup a progress bar in Jira Software with a percentage value 0% til 100% of issue progress. So that this is visible on Backlog, as well as on cards, and in different views.

Additionally it should be also visible on easy agile user story board. To see it at one glance in the user story board.

Here an example of another tool:
progress.PNG

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Henri Seymour _Easy Agile_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 20, 2023

Hi Dan!

While Jira (and Easy Agile TeamRhythm) don’t have a way to display visual progress bars on an issue, you may be able to show at least numerical progress using a custom field.

(Note that Trudy is right that if you’re using a team-managed project, you can create extra fields but can’t show them on issue cards, in Jira or in Easy Agile TeamRhythm. This is not the only limitation users encounter with this newer project type.)

Making a manually-updatable custom field for a company-managed project is easy, though it requires Jira Admin permission.

For the type, I’d recommend either a Number, or a Select list (single choice) with options like “25%”, “50%”, “75%”. You’d then need to add this field to the Field Configuration and Issue Screen for the project(s) to make it visible on the issues in Jira.

You can customise issue cards in Jira using the Board Configuration. For the User Story Map in Easy Agile TeamRhythm, the “Card settings” option is in the “…” menu in the top-right corner of the app, where you can add up to three extra fields.

Henri, Support Engineer @ Easy Agile

(Thanks for reaching out to us directly at support@easyagile.com! Let us know if you have any other questions about Easy Agile TeamRhythm.)

Post edited to add links to relevant documentation. 

Dan April 20, 2023

@Henri Seymour _Easy Agile_ 

Thank you so much for your support.

That’s really a pitty with Jiras differentiation between team managed and company managed projects :(

Means, that the card setting options in easy agile only appear, if I am using company managed projects, right?

But in the end of the day, if I am not able to show a progress bar on a card, it is not the best option, as visualization is more easier to have a clear picture about everything instead of numbers

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it.

Henri Seymour _Easy Agile_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 9, 2023

@Dan

You're certainly not the first to run into trouble with company/team-managed projects! 

Yes, the card settings in Easy Agile TeamRhythm only appear for company-managed projects. I'll be sure to let you know if we've got any updates for you on this! 

Neither our app nor Jira have visual progress bars. I hope you're able to find some form of visualisation to manage your team's work that works for you. 

Henri, Support Engineer @ Easy Agile 

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hello @Dan 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

How would you expect that progress to be measured?

Is that based on time estimates and time tracking that you are entering (or will enter) for each issue?

Or are you planning to have a user simply update a field to say the percentage of progress for each issue?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Are you working with Team Managed projects or Company Managed projects?

Team Managed projects don't support customization of cards, so if you want to add a custom field to cards you will need to use Company Managed projects.

Jira does support adding a custom Number field, but it is generic. It does not let you specify the field is a Percentage type field or even an integer vs. decimal field. So you can indeed add a Number field for your users to fill in, and give it a name like Percent Complete.

Natively Jira doesn't provide support for adding a progress bar entity that is based on a numeric field. Third party apps can be used to get a new custom field type for Progress Bar. Here is a search from the Atlassian Marketplace to help you get started finding such an app:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=progress%20bar%20field

I have not worked with or researched any of those apps in depth. I don't know if it is possible for the Progress Bar fields they generate to be added to cards.

I don't know anything about the Easy Agile Rhythm app, so I can't directly address the display of custom Jira fields in that app.

Dan April 20, 2023

Ok understand. Thanks for your detailed answer.

I dont know the difference between team managed projects and company managed projects. Didnt heard about it. How can i validate or check, which case applies for my situation? Where i can see within Jira if it is team managed projects or company managed projects. Could you maybe provide a screenshot? Or somehting visual? For the current Jira Version. I have realized that most of the tutorials about Jira are outdated, including the ones on your website or with your help section.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Hello Dan,

When viewing the project look at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left. There you will find a message that says the project is team-managed or company-managed.

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 7.34.01 AM.png

You can learn more about the differences between Team Managed and Company Managed projects in this documentation .

I'm not sure to which tutorials you are referring. Do note that you need to make sure you are viewing tutorials that apply to the hosting version of Jira you are using - Jira Cloud (Atlassian hosted) vs. Jira Server or Jira Data Center (self hosted), as the products have many differences based on how they are hosted.

Dan April 20, 2023

Thanks. How can i switch a existing project to company managed project? I have a team managed project without knowing it. :(

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Hello Dan,

It is not possible to simply change one setting to convert a Team Managed project to a Company Managed project. You have to create a new Company Managed project and move the issues from the Team Managed project to the Company Managed project.

Only a Jira Administrator can create Company Managed projects, and only Jira Administrators can customize Company Managed projects.

There are some significant differences between how the two project architectures function. You may want to review the documentation on the difference that I linked in my previous reply first to determine you really do want to change.

Additionally you will want to review this documentation on things you need to consider when migrating between the two types of projects.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

Dan April 20, 2023

Thank you. That sounds complicated :(

But why it is not possible within a team managed project the manage customization of cards? This makes no sense to me.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

It is simply a feature that has not yet been implemented. There is a change request for it here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17336

Company Managed project functionality was developed first.

Over the past several years, Atlassian has been working on the Team Managed functionality. Like many product development companies that are trying to make the next generation of their product, they implemented a core set of the original Company Managed functionality in the Team Managed projects first. It would take too long to re-implement all the functionality all at once, waiting to release the product only after all functionality was complete. So they are making iterative enhancements to Team Managed project functionality.

They were also striving to support a slightly different use case; enabling teams to implement project-specific customizations while keeping the steps for that work simple.

---

You could manually create another board for the Team Managed project. The board would function like the boards for the Company Managed projects, and you would be able to customize the cards. However, Team Managed projects currently support having only one board linked to the project. You would not automatically see the second board when viewing your Team Managed project. You would have to bookmark a link to that second board. And you could optionally add a Shortcut to that second board from your Team Managed project.

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 11.31.01 AM.png

To learn more about creating additional boards for your Team Managed project refer to this article.

Dan April 20, 2023

@truda 
Hi Trudy,

thanks so much for the explaination. I understand, even if this is a sad truth.
The only way is to wait for the launch of the change request, as this seems to be very necessary in the daily work with cards etc. Not only for me, also for other users in terms of planning, monitoring etc.

How i can display a progress bar to the backlog view?
Is there at least an option to do that natively or also just only with a third party provider and if so, whom?

Thanks.

Dan April 20, 2023

@Trudy Claspill 

Do you have an idea how to move my issues from team managed projects to company managed projects?

And what would you say in some short sentences, what is the main difference between these both options (team managed and company managed project)?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

How i can display a progress bar to the backlog view?
Is there at least an option to do that natively or also just only with a third party provider and if so, whom?

There is no native feature to create a field that will display as a progress bar, either in the issue details screen or on a card in either the backlog view or the board view. You would have to use a third party product.

As I state previously, here is a search from the Atlassian Marketplace to help you get started finding such an app:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=progress%20bar%20field

I have not worked with or researched any of those apps in depth. I don't know if it is possible for the Progress Bar fields they generate to be added to cards.

Do you have an idea how to move my issues from team managed projects to company managed projects?

This short YouTube video shows how to move an issue from one project to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHkskZLUQmo

You can skip the instructions about cloning the issue first, unless you want to keep a copy of the issue in the original project.

And what would you say in some short sentences, what is the main difference between these both options (team managed and company managed project)?

There are many differences between the two project architectures.

One of the biggest differences is how customizations can be made, and who can make those customizations. 

In the agile boards for the two projects, the swimlane functionality is managed differently.

Also, with a Kanban board, the distinction between issues in the Backlog and issues on the Board is handled differently.

Agile boards for Company Managed projects have more options that can be used for Estimation Statistics.

Company Managed projects have a feature called Components. That feature is not available in Team Managed projects yet.

Those are just a few. The differences that would be most important to you though will depend a lot on your work processes. Please review this documentation on the differences to learn more.

0 votes
Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2023

Hi @Dan

I would like to recommend you our Issue Checklist for Jira app Free app, which allows you to add the checklist inside of the issues. It has a feature that tracks the progress of the checklist items.

This information is stored inside of the Checklist custom fields, and you can show the progress on issues, and on the boards as well.

Please find a screenshots of how it looks like below:

Issue view:

Progress.png

Board view:

board3.png

It is a great option to replace small subtasks and track their progress inside one issue.

It is definitely a more complex solution than just a progress bar, but maybe you will find it useful for your case.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Cheers!

Gracjan

Dan April 20, 2023

@Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_ 

Thanks for your support and your assistance.
But the kind of visualization of progress from issue checklist is not the kind of progress  that i am looking for. I would like to have a progress bar with a percentage indicatior as number on a card, especially on a card from easy agile team rythm (User Story Map Card)
To have everything at first glance, the big picture on the user story map especially, but as well as on backlog as on board as within an issue as on the user story map of easy agile.

Similar to the green progress bar from my screenshot in my initial question.

Thanks anyway for help and assistance! I appreciate it.

0 votes
Dan April 19, 2023

I am planning to have a user simply update a field to say the percentage of progress for each issue?

End the result / value percentage should be displayed within an issue, backlog list and on a sprint card (kanban Board view) and on the third party app of easy agile rythm.

Suggest an answer