Issue Hierarchy Structure

Minakshi Sharma April 18, 2023

I would appreciate some help around setting up issue type hierarchy in Jira. Currently in my project, we have only two level (default) hierarchy in issue type structure. That is Epic is linked to User Stories and Tasks; then user User Story and Tasks we have subtasks. I am looking for a three-level hierarchy structure in our Jira instance as shown below:

Epic -> Feature-> User Story-> Subtask OR even better would be: Initiative-> Epic -> Feature-> User Story-> Subtask.

I created the Initiative issue type in Jira but am unable to create the hierarchy structure.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2023

Hi @Minakshi Sharma

We use Structure by Tempo to implement a deeper hierarchy. We find that Structure is more flexible than Advanced Roadmaps. There's more information about how we did it in this article and this webinar.

I'm not affiliated with Structure by Tempo, I'm just a happy customer.

HTH, 

Kel

Minakshi Sharma April 25, 2023

Hi Kelly

Thanks for your response. Is this a free plug-in for Jira?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023
0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @Minakshi Sharma 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

This page in the documentation for Advanced Roadmaps provides guidance on how to modify the issue hierarchy.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-custom-hierarchy-levels-in-advanced-roadmaps/

Do note that changes you make to the hierarchy will apply to all projects. If you change the name of the built in Epic issue to be Feature, then in all projects they will use "Feature" instead of "Epic.

Let us know if you have additional questions after reviewing the guide.

Minakshi Sharma April 25, 2023

Thanks a mil Trudy, I will try this and will get back to you if i am still struggling..

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events