Is there a way to set the default project for JIRA?

Kathy Schulting March 21, 2018

I have access to multiple projects and right now my JIRA by default launches with a project that I don't want to have as my default.  I still want to have access to that project, but I have another project that I would like to view upon initial launch.  Is it possible to set another project as your start up default?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2018

Do you have a Dashboard set up for that project? If not, create one first then go to Dashboards > Manage Dashboards. You should see a "star" shaped checkbox next to each Dashboard name indicating whether or not it is a "favorite." Uncheck each star except for the one you want as the default and voilà! it is now the default project when you open Jira. 

(One note though...this is how I did it in my Cloud instance, there may be other, better ways.)

Kathy Schulting March 21, 2018

That worked!  Thanks Scott!

Peter Morgan October 4, 2018

awesome, up to "go to Dashboards" then it became not so helpful. For me, there is a left navigation panels that are all icons.  One of the icons is a Star, and when you hover over it the pop-up text is "Starred and recent". Clicking on that give me a slide-out panel titled "Starred and Recent", with sections for projects, boards, filters etc. It looks like you can pick your default by making it the only starred item in it's category, but even that did not work for me

Skuli Geir Jensson October 17, 2022

This solution did not work for me but what did work is the following: 

select user profile in the top right corner

Select My Jira Home

and from there I could select the Board I wanted. 

Serge DUDNIC April 7, 2023

actually "Jira home page" just selects the global projets directory, not an individual one

Suggest an answer