Is there a way to copy a project from one jira cloud instance to another ?

prashantgera March 25, 2021

I have two Jira instances and I want to copy a project from one instance to another. I am unable to find a way to do it. Please help.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

This feature is currently in beta; you can read more about it and sign up for the early access program here. 

In the meantime, you could look at this app.

Project Configurator for Jira Cloud

It currently only supports copying project configuration (i.e. screens, workflows, etc.), not data, but you can pretty easily move your data via CVS export and import.

prashantgera March 30, 2021

Thanks, @Esther Strom for your reply.  I will look at the Project Configurator.  If we can't move a project from one cloud instance to another. Is there a way where we can move the whole instance to another?

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2021

If the destination is empty (i.e. you're moving to a completely new instance), then yes. You can do a backup of your source system via the backup manager (https://<source-site>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/CloudExport.jspa). You'd then do a system restore from the backup in your destination instance (https://<destination-site>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/CloudImport!start.jspa)

prashantgera March 31, 2021

No, the other instance is also in use but it has completely different projects. I am looking to move all projects from one instance to another.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2021

Unfortunately there's no easy way to merge two instances. There are detailed instructions for several approaches here.

prashantgera April 1, 2021

Thank you, @Esther Strom 

prashantgera April 2, 2021

@Esther Strom : You mentioned that we can easily export data from the project and can import it in another instance (blank project) but I am facing some issues. I am unable to move from the mapping screen after selecting.csv file. 

prashantgera April 2, 2021

I am able to move forward but it says that "Due date" is required as "Due date" is one of the field

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2021

@prashantgera Have you already moved your project shell via Project Configurator? If so, and Due date was one of the required fields in your field configuration, you'll need to make sure all of the tickets you're trying to import have a due date in the csv file. 

The documentation for csv imports is here, if you haven't read it already. You may need to do some formatting to your file; a simple export from a search filter (if that's what you did) will not always provide the exact setup necessary for import.

0 votes
Kate Kabir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2021

Hi @prashantgera 

In Project Configurator for Jira Cloud only supports migration Configuration between Jira Cloud instances. I'm sorry to say that it does not support migrations between Server and Cloud instances.

I can confirm that we have produced a short demo video located here which explains how you can use Project Configurator for Jira Cloud to perform a migration and this can be used as a reference guide to help you get started with the plugin.

Also, I can confirm that you can find the getting started pages of the documentation located here which contain detailed guides on how to use the plugin.

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards

Kate

prashantgera April 1, 2021

Thanks @Kate Kabir 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin