Is it possible to force the selection of a new Assignee?

Hi,

I am building a board with: To Do, In Progress, In Review and Completed.

When I drag a card to 'In Review' from 'In Progress', I would like the user to have to choose another Assignee, as the reviewer is someone-else.

I have a specific screen for it, where Assignee is mandatory. However, if the person moving the card does not remember to change the Assignee, the card remains in the board with the wrong Assignee.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks Peter, I have been able to do it following your tips.

This widget could not be displayed.
Pedro Cora Atlassian Team Sep 02, 2015

The best way would be to use the Script Runner (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner) to script a post-function validator that will require the assignee to be someone else.

-- Pedro

Not a post-function, a validator. (A post-function could be used to change the assignee if the user doesn't, but you'd need to have a rule for knowing who to name)

Pedro Cora Atlassian Team Sep 02, 2015

Thanks for pointing that you Nic! Wrote before coffee :P

They're almost in the same tab ;-)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am just surprised that this is not the standard functionality. How do the other teams do it then? People pick from tasks themselves? What if they don't remember to assign a task to the next person or reviewer? Thanks.

It's not needed on most transitions, and most users tend to be good at reassigning stuff. Most places have a clear "the assignee is currently responsible for this", so when a user is looking at an un-closed issue that they are assigned to, the instinct is to get rid of it, and there are basically two ways to do that - deal with the issue and close it, or give it to someone else. Most of us report on "stuff I need to do" and are quite good at going "hang on, that's in review, that's not my job" Of course, you have a valid use-case, especially if your users aren't as good at the reporting and chasing side of it. That's what we do scripts for ;-)

Peter Bengov Community Champion Sep 02, 2015

Hi Robert, we usually like to automate this using Post Functions. For example: you set a Tester field in a transition, then the Post Function takes the value from this field and sets it to Assignee. It's indeed not done by JIRA OOTB, but Script Runner and other plugins can help.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,481 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you