Is it possible to create a link for cloning an issue?

Manuel Glock April 17, 2023

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the Atlassian-Jira Landscape, so maybe there is a really obvious solution I just haven't found yet.

The Problem:
In the Server Version of Jira we had a link which would clone a certain "template" issue within a project. This new issue would then be tweaked and have all the template/example text in the description. In Jira Cloud, this cloning process is always done via an overlay, so we can't get a link (e.g. for use in confluence) to always clone this issue. 

I know this wasn't the best way of doing this in the first place, but now we can't do it anymore.

First, I thought of just editing some default values, using the template texts, for the fields and just have a new screen when creating an issue. But as far as I know you can't set default values for fields in Company-Managed Software Projects.

I think the easiest way would be to migrate the project to a Team-managed project and utilise the new features, but we don't want to trouble our team even more, which is still adapting to Jira Cloud. even then Team-Managed projects have some drawbacks for us, as we had discovered, due to its way of handling permissions/access. So maybe this will be considered at a later point.

It would be ideal to have an issue screen with the template values, which then can be tweaked, before the issue is even created. Alternatively a way of generating a link to clone the template issue and then edit the cloned one.

Is there currently any way to achieve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Manuel Glock

Although there I don't think there is an equivalent feature in Jira Cloud I want to suggest a workaround using our app Deep Clone for Jira.

With Deep Clone you can create Presets which you can link in the Actions Menu ··· of issues. If you put a link to the template issue in your Confluence (with a small explainer on how to find the preset in the Actions Menu) it is only two more clicks.

Preset example

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events