Is it possible to call external system service URL up on status change in JIRA ?

Balamurugan Sethuraman March 10, 2021

We are trying to make a service call to external system up on status change in JIRA. We have gone through some of the documentation related to triggers and post functions, but we were not able to find anything related to external service call.

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2021

Hi @Balamurugan Sethuraman 

You can do that by setting up an incoming webhook in your automation rules, basically you can trigger these rules from external system.

Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 18.46.42.png

In case you need more explanation then you can also watch this video that I made on exactly this topic.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Balamurugan Sethuraman March 11, 2021

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ Thanks for your recommendation. It is really good to know there is a incoming webhook.

But I am looking for outgoing webhook based on status change in JIRA. The idea is to update the status in my external system based on the status change in JIRA.

Thanks

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2021

@Balamurugan Sethuraman 

Yes you can do that as well. There is an action called "Send web request" where you can call external system's REST API. You can trigger this to happen on let us say transition and pass the issue key with the new status in the body to update status in another system.

Balamurugan Sethuraman March 11, 2021

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ That is really good to know. It will be helpful If you can share some documentation on that.

Thanks

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2021

I made couple of videos explaining how it works. To get started you can check this one here. There is another example where I showed how to create a project using REST API. I find "Send web request" feature really useful for integrating with other systems.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Balamurugan Sethuraman March 15, 2021

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ Thank you so much for your response. This is really helpful for us.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events