Insight unusable due to "license condition"

Benjamin W_ May 7, 2021

Hi 

we have upgraded Jira Data Center from 8.13.0 to 8.16.1 and in the same step Insight from 8.7.1 to 8.7.10. Before DC we made use of an evaluation license. With 8.7.10 Insight comes license-free with Jira DC.

Since the upgrade, Insight cannot be used anymore. It is installed and the log states that it is correctly started, but 

a) the menue bar shows no link
b) manage apps section shows no section for configuration
c) when jumping from the configure-button in the insight-app under manage apps, I am forwarded to the startpage of Jira.

I have tried to...

1) rebuild Insight index from scratch -> no change
2) disable and re-enable Insight -> no change
3) uninstall Insight, clear plugin cache, clear Jira cache, start Jira, reinstall Insight at same version -> no change

When proceeding c) I noticed the following entry in the log:

WARN  /secure/ManageObjectSchema.jspa [c.r.j.p.i.c.web.action.InsightAction] Redirect due to license condition

Seems Insight is not aware of beeing licenses with Jira DC. 

I followed this SQL-query

SELECT * FROM public.propertyentry pe JOIN public.propertytext pt on pe.id=pt.id
WHERE pe.property_key like 'com.atlassian.upm.license%';

found here

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/In-Which-database-table-JIRA-License-Key-will-store/qaq-p/152722

in order to check if the database has still the old trial license. This is the case.

Having a backup of the database, I deleted the entries using

DELETE FROM dbo.propertytext
WHERE propertyvalue LIKE 'AAABjg0OD%'

DELETE FROM dbo.propertyentry
WHERE ID LIKE '101620'

But still same behaviour.

From Mindvill's Update documentation there is the prequisite to have Jira Update Manager updated to latest version. This was the case. I can verify this by checking the app details -> the part for "license details" where to enter the license has vanished.

Any idea if there is some special by migrating from a trial license to the Data Center included license?

Thanks and regards Benjamin

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Benjamin W_ May 9, 2021

... sometimes it's so easy..

As we are running Jira and JSM on the same instance, we had a version mismatch.

Jira is on 8.16.1, JSM was on 4.13.0

I was not aware of the fact this hosting constellation leads to a hard dependancy Jira 8.XX to JSM 4.XX. 

After upgrading JSM to 4.16.1 Insight is working again.

I assume this was a special case due to licensing integration of Insight to JSM since JSM 4.15.0

Cheers 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events