In the new JIRA version, how to change EPIC color?

Rhita Chatila January 29, 2018

On my backlog, I used to see different EPICs in different colors (easy way to group user stories). I don't have anymore this possibility.

Thanks.

22 answers

1 accepted

40 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2018

Hi @Rhita Chatila,

I assume with "the new JIRA version" you mean the new UI Experience on Cloud? If not, what version are you on?

In Cloud, go to the Backlog view of the board that has you Epics. On the left hand side, expand the Epic panel. Next to each Epic in the list you will see a small coloured triangle. When you click that, you will be able to change Epic colour:

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 20.10.35.png

Rhita Chatila January 30, 2018
Steve A Farrand April 4, 2018

@Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT]

I can not see this down arrow.

How do I expose it?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2018

Hi @Steve A Farrand,

Can you share a screenshot of what you do see?

Like Nadia Erraji likes this
Judith Hermus May 18, 2018

@Steve A Farrand I found that these arrows are only there if you are in the EPIC colums in a SCRUM board, perhaps that helps.

Like # people like this
Cosmin Lehene December 3, 2019

go to the Backlog view of the board that has you Epics.  

can you explain what this means / how to get there? 

Joris Vleminckx December 3, 2019

It means: "go to the backlog of a Scrum project (which have epics)."

Like Hana Holubová likes this

@Joris Vleminckx I wonder if there's a single view for that (/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=1&view=planning.nodetail) I'm unable to see any color options there Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 3.10.25 PM.png

I guess the "Scrum" part is key. It doesn't seem to show up on Kanban boards. 

Joris Vleminckx December 3, 2019

Yes, Scrum is key. For some reasons Atlassian doesn't want to mix Scrum "features" (Epics, Story Points, etc.) into Kanban boards, even though it's imho very real-life to have projects that don't advance in a Scrum matter, but still have features (->epics) or duration estimates (->Story Points).

Like # people like this

That’s weird given that there are epics, they have colors, just no way to change the colors. Looks more like a bad design / bug issue.

Like # people like this
stefan.moeller July 23, 2020

Use "bulk update" for the epic(s) concerned and find the field "epic color" there.

Like # people like this
Eddy Krijnen December 28, 2020

Is it also possible to put your own colors for example: D5E8D4"?

Like # people like this
Andrea January 12, 2021

Look for the horizontal text beside the sprints.

Next to "versions" there should be "epics" (see screenshot)

If the text does not show, it may be a permission on the board itself or your account level. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.40.57 PM.png

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Martinez Mantilla January 27, 2022

I have a question, what happens if I have a Kanban Dashboard, Can I change the color the same way? because I don't find the way to change it. Helpppp pleaseee 

Joris Vleminckx January 27, 2022

@Elizabeth Martinez Mantilla Just to go the Epic ticket, and click in the color box.

Like Pat Haworth likes this
Elizabeth Martinez Mantilla January 27, 2022

Hi @Joris Vleminckx that is an option or configuration in JIRA? because I don't see the color box. Can you show me an image? Thanks 

Selection_016.png

Like # people like this
29 votes
Tanja Kantola October 25, 2018

Is this feature also available for kanban boards? I have seen it on a scrum board but could not find it for a kanban board. It's annoying that we have several epics with an identical label colour on a kanban board.

Joris Vleminckx July 13, 2020

Idem, have been looking for it for over 15mins now :-(

stefan.moeller July 23, 2020

Use "bulk update" for the epics and find the field "epic color" there.

Like # people like this
balint_dejczo January 26, 2021

There is another workaround:
- create a Scrum board
- change the colors as mentioned above
- delete the Scrum board

New way, directly in the Epic ticket:

Selection_016.png

Like Keenan_ Bob likes this
Lasse H January 20, 2023

Joris, this doesn't work as of 20.01.2023. When I click on an issue, a modal opens and there's no way to do it (this is a Kanban Board).

Whoops, I was wrong. Sorry.

Tiffanie P February 20, 2024
10 votes
Jessica Chappell July 18, 2018

I couldn't be more happy that you added this feature!!! Add more color options please! :D <3 

7 votes
Alvaro May 30, 2019

Hi there, just found the way to do it, 

If you go to your Roadmap, and you click in one of your Epics, it opens on the right hand side. Next to our epic's name, you will have a small box with the colour (mine purple by default) if you click this box, the colour selection comes up. 

Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 14.15.38.png

I hope this helps

Clif Smith June 7, 2019

That worked, thanks!

andrew.rannard September 12, 2019

Is that manual per epic though? Can it automatically change colour based on status?

jennifer.careil May 27, 2020

Fantastic, this works thanks. 

Jim Hawksworth February 1, 2021

Excellent, thank you.

Heather Regehr November 8, 2021

Perfect, thank you!

5 votes
Trevor Duong September 20, 2019

For Next Gen projects, you need navigate to the issue view of the Epic and you will get the option to change the colour there

Screenshot_4.png

andrew.rannard September 24, 2019

Thanks Trevor, saw that but don't want to update manually - was looking for it to update automatically based on a status or even better based on percentage completed. Do you know if that is possible?

Trevor Duong September 24, 2019

Hi Andrew. Most likely not currently for next-gen projects as the features are pretty limited at this point in time. Hopefully they are working on this though!

andrew.rannard September 24, 2019

Ah, no worries. 

Thanks though. 

4 votes
kathryn_perdue June 25, 2019

There is a setting you need to change for the board in order to see the epics in the side view on the kanban board. If you (may need to be an admin?) go to Board Settings > Columns > Epics panel, there is a toggle to display epics next to the backlog instead of as tickets within the backlog. This works on Kanban boards too!

epicssetting.png

If you flip that setting to true, you'll see the list of epics on the left as mentioned by several people in this thread, and from there you can change the color with the drop down arrow. 

epiccolor.png

3 votes
nickdani August 1, 2019

Kanban board. None of the above solutions helped me, however, I found an alternative solution which actually works.

1. You need to go to Project Settings, bottom left corner.
  2. Go to Issue Types and select Epic. Add field Epic Colour (yes, not the Epic Color, looks like Jira has British roots). image.png
  3. Then go to your Epic and from Configure Fields add field Epic Colour. Refresh the 
    page.
    image (1).png
    Use this link to lookup epic colors - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/What-values-are-used-to-query-Epic-Color/qaq-p/17405
3 votes
Jordi Dosne February 22, 2019

We cannot change the EPIC colors because no EPIC is shown in the list.

See the screenshot below.

If I recreate a new board, the EPICs are here, but we loose all settings.

Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 13.57.42.png

2 votes
Naira Kazarian February 21, 2019

I really hope to see a color wheel with unlimited color options, or at least more color options available to choose from. 14 epic colors is NOT enough. 

Kevin Hoekman February 21, 2019

Better than 0! You'll learn, one step at a time with change.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2020

Hi,

Here are the old suggestions (2015 and 2016) to support more colors for epics, which you may review and vote for:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20184

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-59765

Perhaps our vendor is trying to disencentivize high, work in progress (WIP) by limiting the available colors.  ;^)

Best regards,

Bill

2 votes
Joshua Mendoza October 29, 2018

As @Tanja Kantolamentioned, it's very annoying to organize stories with only one color in Epic labels.

Has somebody managed to change colors for Epics in Kanban boards?

Judith Hermus October 30, 2018

Setting the colors can - to my knowledge - only be done via a scrum board, create a scrumboard for all the projects combined (if you have overarching Epics, that is the easiest) and set the epic colors per epic in the scrum board - backlog view. From that moment on the epic colors are reflected in the related kanban boards as well.

So a small work around, but it worked well (and efficiently) for me.

Like # people like this
Joshua Mendoza November 6, 2018

@Judith Hermus

Hi! Thank you for your advice. I tried as you mentioned, created a new Scrum project but I had no success changing epic's colors.

I started with a next-gen Kanban project and my team and I put some work on with stories and epics. Those epics are the ones we want to change color for better visual feedback.

I tried you strategy to create a new (next-gen) Scrum project but the interface is very similar, only almost all features turned on. I created example epics in the Roadmap section and then moved back to backlog. I couldn't see the Epics sidebar so I'm still stuck with the same problem.

I think you're strategy only works on classic Jira projects.

Judith Hermus November 7, 2018

Hi Joshua, you can create an additional Scrum board in Kanban projects as well. Just create a board not a new project. I just redid my above instruction for a project in which my epics didn't have colors yet, and it worked.

Please use the pics to see if we are talking about the same thing. 

I hope it helps.

create a board.PNGcreate a board 2.PNGscrum for colors.PNG

Like # people like this
Jean-Michel Lavarenne November 19, 2018

I also have no Epic sideboard in my scrum project backlog.

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 14.27.50.png

Judith Hermus November 23, 2018

Regardless of the project type, what type of board are you looking at?

Jean-Michel Lavarenne November 23, 2018

In the list of all boards the type is "next-gen board".

Judith Hermus November 23, 2018

I have no experience with that board in respect to changing the epic colors, Perhaps  for a reason :) Using above instruction (on scrum board) does the trick, Good luck & success!

Jean-Michel Lavarenne November 23, 2018

Ok, thanks! Maybe it is not possible yet to change epic colors in the new interface.

Jon Sorenson January 18, 2019

I'm having the same issue with the next-gen board interface.  Is there a way to change the epic colors for that type of project?

Like Lauren Jean likes this
Hsiang January 21, 2019

Up! Would like to know as well.

1 vote
Joris Vleminckx May 30, 2019

Another option is temporarily adding the field "Epic Color" to your "Edit Issue" screen and modifying the colours in the different "Epic" tickets. 

Dominic Rogers June 9, 2019

This is the one I found most useful - I couldn't get the other options working with my kanban bords

Update: I've managed to do it through a Bulk Update of only the Epic ticket whose colour I wanted to update. Basically, create a filter (project= AND type=Epic), select the Epic you want to update and then BulkUpdate->Epic Colours

Like stefan.moeller likes this
1 vote
Steena P March 21, 2019

Colours for Epics are being organised automatically.  How can we define Epic colours by groups/teams/components etc?  Is there a way or does it need to be updated manually?

1 vote
Richa Sharma March 4, 2019

I was able to change the color in backlog view. However, it did not change in Active Sprint view for me.

SusanLambe September 10, 2022

Yes, I have this issue too!

1 vote
Zani November 13, 2018

How can you do this, in the new Jira Software experience? I don't have this view anymore with the dropdown....

Judith Hermus November 15, 2018

I made above views in the new experience. Are you sure you are using the backlog of a scrumboard?

0 votes
Mat Schaffer January 12, 2023

Really nice move to provide the color via the Epic page. Though (on Jira Cloud) after changing it my "Kanban board" view was still showing the old colors.

Moving a single card on the board seemed to update whatever cache was holding the old colors.

Mentioning it incase anyone else hits that and is wondering what's up.

0 votes

New way 2022:  directly in the Epic ticket there is a colour box you can click to change the colour.

Selection_016.png

Michael Aglas March 3, 2022

what Jira version is that? we use 8.20.6 but not available here

Michael Aglas March 3, 2022

or is it just available on DC again?

0 votes
Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2021

Hi all, 

For those, who want to change the label colour for the epic in Jira Cloud:

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 17.12.07.png

The colour selection is just before the name and on the view right part you will not see it coloured, but you will see it with this colour when you open an issue related to this topic or in the board. 

Cheers, Magdalena Zhisheva

0 votes
jessica seal July 15, 2021

I didn't really care about the colour. I'd like to know how to set up a new EPIC. and subsequently, since it's impossible to set up epics in Tempo/JIRA - i had training in my first week, have since been inundated with work. Now feel disgusted to ask my company how to do it. Also, don't have the time!

I've been using JIRA for nearly a decade now. never had the privileges to edit this. I've started setting up Tempo but am blocked because - see below:

PLEASE, can someone help me?

Joris Vleminckx July 15, 2021

You create Epics just like normal tickets, but as ticket Type you pick “Epic”. :)

0 votes
Scion March 13, 2020

In the announcement banner you can add your own CSS.
Since the ghx-labels are assigned as a CSS class, just make your own label and add it to the announcement banner.

<style type="text/css">
.ghx-label-16 { background-color: #8777D9; }
</style>

This doesn't affect the style of the font when the epic appears on cards. To make a style similar to the default in Jira cloud, add the following:

<style type="text/css">
.ghx-label-16 { background-color: #8777D9; }
.aui-label.ghx-label-16 { background-color:#EAE6FF; color: #403294; font-weight: 600;  border: none; line-height: 16px; white-space: nowrap;}</style>

0 votes
Prabhu Krishnamurthy November 12, 2019

Hello,

How do I get JIRA to show the actual color in a dashboard?

I have created a filter for listing down all the epics for a particular release. Now when I display the filter results on a dashboard, the epic colour field is actually displaying ghx-label-XX instead of the actual color. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

0 votes
Ryan_Rebo May 22, 2019

This is very frustrating. No clear way to make them different colors in a Kanban board? 

I've done it through a Bulk Update of only the Epic ticket whose colour I wanted to update. Basically, create a filter (project= AND type=Epic), select the Epic you want to update and then BulkUpdate->Epic Colours

Ricardo Bolivar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 30, 2023

Joris Thanks for you comment this process sucess for me.

0 votes
P SRINIVASA RAO February 12, 2019

Hello Ms. Judith Tacq

Thanks for your information. We've faced the same issue but not in Cloud. Will it applicable for the Data center also? if Yes please let me know how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!!

Best Regards,

Srinivasa:)

P SRINIVASA RAO February 12, 2019

Hello All,

It is working in Kanban Project in Back lock section as well in Server version. 

Steps to edit the Epic Color:

1. Go to the project and open the Respective board.

2. Click on Backlog at left side.

3. Click EPICS on the left side of the board (aligned vertically) to open it.

4.Click the arrow next to the epic's name, then choose the color from the menu.

Please find the Screen shots for your kind reference.

Cheers!

Srinivasa :)0046831668-A.JPG0046831668-B.JPG0046831668-C.JPG

Like # people like this
P SRINIVASA RAO June 7, 2019

Hello Kevin,

I'm very glad to hear that , it got help you to fix the your problem.I'm looking forward to hear more queries from you that will help me to improve my self as well.

Thank you very much.

Cheers!!!

Best Regards,

Srinivasa:)

Suggest an answer