Importing workflow (.jbw) creates custom fields

Boyd K February 2, 2023

Using Jira Data Center 9.4.1, I am about to import a workflow using a .jbw file and I see that it will create the custom fields that are involved with the workflow.  However, I just created the custom fields.  From what I have read, it looks like the workflow import will create duplicates of the already existing custom fields.  So, shall I just delete those custom fields? 

AND, will the workflow import create the custom fields with the Options for those that are Select List (single choice) and Checkboxes?

Oh, and just to add a little complexity, I have two workflows to import and most of the custom fields are involved in both.  So, when I import the second workflow, will I end of with more duplicates, aka triplicates, of those custom fields?

1 answer

0 votes
Boyd K February 6, 2023

So, the Options were EMPTY (not brought over) for the custom fields that are Select List (single choice) and Checkboxes created via the workflow import of a .jwb file.

Thus, I restored my Jira to the point before I imported any workflow and created any custom field.  I imported the first workflow which created a good number of my custom fields.  When importing the second workflow, a second set of custom fields, e.g. Field - 2, were created.  Both workflow imported also created their workflow transition screens with the second one creating its screens with a "- 2" like with its custom fields.

Then, I created the remaining custom fields.  Next, I added the Options to the custom fields the first workflow import created.  I repointed the second imported workflow to the first imported workflow's transition screens.  Finally, I deleted all the fields (- 2) and screens (- 2) created by the second workflow import.

Very time-consuming but done..... unless someone has a better way to accomplish this.

Suggest an answer