Import a csv file with test cases

Ebe August 26, 2022

Hello,

I am new here at Jira and trying my first testcase csv file upload. I found a blog which details how to import using csv. Do i need to have the headers exactly as mentioned below or can i use custom headers?  Thanks in advance

Summary, Assignee, Reporter, Issue Type, Description, Priority
"Test issue", admin, admin, 1, ,

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi Ebe - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Just put the values in a Spreadsheet with whatever headings you want. Then save it as a CSV file.

Then when you import, you can map your spreadsheet values to the fields in Jira. 

Ebe August 26, 2022

@John Funk

Will try that and update here.  Thank you John

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hello @Ebe 

Welcome to the community.

If you are using the native Jira CSV import functionality you can use whatever names you wish for your headers in your CSV, with limitations. As you use the import wizard you will see that there is a step where you provide a mapping of your headers to the corresponding Jira fields to which the data will be added. With that mapping, it doesn't matter what names you use in your headers.

The limitation is when you are trying to import a value into a multi-select list, such as the Components field. In that case, each value you want to import is under a separate "header" but the names of those headers are all identical. If you wanted to add two values to the Components field, for example, you would include in your data:

Summary, Issue Type, ComponentValue, ComponentValue
Summary text, Story, value1, value2

Ebe August 26, 2022

Hi Trudy,

Thank you very much for your response. As mentioned, this is my first try in Jira and am trying to digest the information.  I will try to import the file and update if I am able to...

Suggest an answer