Impact on changing Project key on existing requests and knowledgebase

Karishma May 25, 2022

I wanted to know the impact of changing the project key. What happens to existing requests? And the knowledgebase linked to the old key (confluence cloud) can it impact anything? Or can we point to the new project key easily?

Is it possible for customers to still access older requests with the old key?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

Changing the Jira project key will not affect anything. Existing issues will just get the new key, and can be reached by the old key as well because Jira will redirect it to the new key. And yes, customers will still be able to access old requests.

Karishma June 1, 2022

I had 1 more question, what about the knowledgebase articles in Confluence cloud linked to this old project key? I know we cannot change the project key in Confluence, I'm assuming the old key will redirect to the same project in jira service desk.

In short, customers will be able to access knowledgebase articles even though we cannot change the project key in Confluence cloud.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2022

All existing links in Confluence to Jira will still work since Jira keeps track of the old project key and will redirect any links to the old key to the new key. So your customers would still be able to get from your KBs to the linked issue without any issues.

Carmela Marco March 10, 2023

How about Opsgenie configurations and any customer work and rules implemented within that project. We have customized Opsgenie to execute ticket email notifications. These notifications are customized with multiple fields etc. If we were to move all the data and fields from JSM to another tool, what would be the impact?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2023

@Carmela Marco this should be it's own question, but the impact would be that any existing emails would have dead links to them if you move a way from JSM, and you would have to reconfigure Opsgenie to work with the new tool.

Aref Maleki August 14, 2023

Will the links in the comments of other issues will be updates as well?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events