I want to display all user story for each topic separately

Philipp Tandler November 29, 2021

Hello,

I want to create a filter that shows all user storys (not epics) which are linked to a specific topic.  In our case the topics are different departments and I want to show every requirement for each department.

How can I define topic = topic name in JQL? 

Many thanks and have a great day.

Best regards, 

Philipp

2 answers

1 vote
Dionathan Lopes _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 1, 2021

Hello @Philipp Tandler 

Dionathan from ALM Works here.

It looks like you may be using Structure - Project Management at Scale . If this is the case, we would love to take a closer look at your setup.

Please send us a note to support@almworks.com or contact us through our customer portal: support.almworks.com

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Dionathan L
www.almworks.com 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2021

Is "topic" a custom field you have created? If so, what type of field is it (text, selection list, ...)?

Can you provide a screen image showing an example of your use of the field?

Philipp Tandler November 29, 2021

Hello,

no, it isn't a specific field, its an issue. I want to create a filter that shows all user storys (not epics) which are linked to a specific topic.  In our case the topics are different departments and I want to show every requirement for each department.

image.png

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

How do you indicate an issue is "linked" to a particular department (topic)?

Please provide a screen image of an issue and point out which piece of data indicates the "link".

Philipp Tandler December 1, 2021

image.png

This is the screenshot that the user storys relates to an EPIC, but I want go a bit higher in the hierarchy and want to display all user storys for a specific department  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2021

Have you used a third party app to extend the hierarchy of issues?

The built-in hierarchy of issues for Jira is:

Epics can have child Issues (Stories, Bugs, Tasks) which can have Sub-tasks

From the image it appears that you have a third party app that has enabled you to build additional issue types and create a hierarchy where Epics are "children" of another issue type.

Jira does not have a built in method for traversing such a tree from a higher level and getting all the layers of issues below. The third party app that allowed you to extend the hierarchy may provide a way to do that through a custom report or providing additional functions that can be accessed in JQL. Review the documentation for that third party app to find out if it does.

If it does not, you may need to look at other third party apps that extend JQL search capabilities.

You may find additional ideas if you do a search of this community or the internet for "jira cloud search for all issues under an initiative". "Initiative" is one of the typical higher level issues that people create when extending the issue hierarchy. I think any suggestions on that topic would apply to your question.

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2021

Indeed he is, @Trudy Claspill.  From the screenshot above we can clearly see he is using Structure. However, as @Dionathan Lopes _ALM Works_ mentions above it will be much easier to address his use case once we know some details that it probably does not make sense to share here.

That said, once we figure it out we can post some sort of summary here for everyone to benefit from.  

Meanwhile, great job leading @Philipp Tandler down the right path. Great questions!

-dave 

Philipp Tandler December 2, 2021

Thanks for your great answers, i didn't make the configuration of this instance, but it could be possible that a third party application is used. 

Firstly, I will check the documentation of Structure, hopefully I can find a solution how I can display all user storys linked to a specific topic. 

Have a nice one,

Philipp

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

Great. As @Dionathan Lopes _ALM Works_ said, you should feel free to reach out for assistance via support@almworks.com anytime, @Philipp Tandler.  

-dave 

Suggest an answer