I want to create a custom story points field to accept only the Fibonacci series (1,2,3,5...).

Nitin Poonacha April 8, 2019

I want to create a custom story points field to accept only the Fibonacci series (1,2,3,5...). I have attempted to create a dropdown list field, but the burndown charts do not take values from a list, only from a number field. 

Any suggestions? 

2 answers

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2019

Hello @Nitin Poonacha 

Why do you want the tool to enforce the process on the people?

The tools should support the Agile way of working instead of enforcing it. If you have to enforce Fibonacci values via automation then I feel the Scrum team hasn't received any proper scrum training yet nor are they aware of the advantages of using Fibonacci numbers as story point estimations for stories.

I suggest you show this video to team members 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwu438QSb_g

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure each of have our own way to enforce or bring about behavioral change. It is not that the team is not trained or do not understand estimation. The real concern is when my resources add the change log number (which are 6-7 digits in length), for instance,  in the story points field. With no intentional harm of course. But when they do and even if they realize their mistake and change it, my burndowns have already skewed. 

And this is just one instance. 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2019

"when my resources add the change log number (which are 6-7 digits in length), for instance,  in the story points field"

If that's the case then you can add a check using a plugin.

I use script runner plugin quite a lot and you can use the Behaviour module of the plugin to restrict the story points to a certain set of values (Fibonacci) and if that's not the case then the user will see error and will not be able to submit.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2019

My bad, i don't think behaviour module is available on the Jira cloud

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/behavior-module-in-Script-runner-in-cloud/qaq-p/782116

Yep, cloud has a lot of limitations. Thanks @Tarun Sapra 

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2019

I don't know what scripting is allowed in the cloud, but you will need scripting to do this.

Suggest an answer