Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I need a JQL query that will display all the Epics with their stories underneath it in the results

I'm thinking this isn't possible with standard JQL but thought I would ask.

We also have the Premium version of Jira Cloud

project = OPS1 AND issuetype in (Epic, Story) AND status in ("In Progress", "QA In Progress", "To Do") AND text ~ "MPDT" ORDER BY cf[10020] ASC, created DESC

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

This works but now I have another problem.  Not all of the Epics have an expansion arrow even tho they have stories in them that are not done.

Do you know the story issue key? What happens when you search for:

key=MYSTORY-123 and project = OPS1 AND issuetype in (Epic, Story) AND status in ("In Progress", "QA In Progress", "To Do") AND text ~ "MPDT 

(Replace MYSTORY-123 with the missing story issue key).

Do you get the your story in the results? Most probably not and it means that it doesn't match the search criteria.

Maybe you're after showing all stories of epics that match your base filter?

Yes we have a unique group of Epics/Stories that are for a specific system.  We are looking for them to format as follows:

Epic

Story 1

Story 2

Epic

Story 1

Story 2

etc.

If the problem is the sourcing of the right stories based on the criteria that you apply to the epics only, you may consider using our indexing service.

After you install the app you can run a query like this:

issue in childrenOfEpicsInQuery('project = OPS1 AND issuetype=Story AND status in ('In Progress', 'QA In Progress', 'To Do') AND text ~ 'MPDT') 
OR
(project = OPS1 AND issuetype=Epic AND status in ("In Progress", "QA In Progress", "To Do") AND text ~ "MPDT)

This should return your epics and their stories regardles of the state of the stories. Check out the details in our docs.

You can save this query as a filter and feed it to Advanced Roadmaps plan.

Let me know if this addresses your use case.

No the advanced roadmapping will solve the problem if we can figure out why not all the epics are expanding as I showed above.

Daniel,

I am pulling in several Epics, they all have stories, but on the Plan screen only one is showing with an expansion arrow.  Any ideas?

We have found a solution to this:

project = OPS1 AND issuetype in (Epic, Story) AND status in ("In Progress", "To Do") AND (labels = MineEng OR summary ~ MPDT or summary ~ AU) ORDER BY issuetype ASC, priority DESC, "Epic Link" ASC, created DESC

This pulls all the Epics and Stories we are interested in and then the Plan provides the view.  Thanks for all the help!

Hey @Kurt Smith ,

You can create a JQL filter and then create Plan using you filter. This way you are able ot see the epics->stories structure and the structure will only show items that match your filter.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

⏰ Day in the life of a Jira Admin!

Hello Community! We thoroughly enjoyed this just-for-fun conversation in the Jira Admin Group about what it's like to be a Jira Admin. For #JiraJuly, our talented designers created these graphics t...

948 views 2 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you