I cannot view "the insights of the active sprint"

Ahmed Maher May 25, 2022

I cannot view "the insights of the active sprint" although the permission is granted to me and the board is associated with a specific project. What shall I do to fix this issue?
Insights Issue.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2022

Hi Ahmed,

I can see that you have some project permissions, at least enough to view issues in the VIS project.  But board filters can be complex in a way to pull issues from other projects.  Could you share with us the JQL for that board filter?  If you're unfamiliar with this part please see Editing a boards filter for info.

If you don't have the project permissions in all the projects where that filter can select issues from, then that would explain this behavior.

Andy

Ahmed Maher May 29, 2022

Yes, that was the issue. I have just updated the JQL Filter and it works now ... 

Many thanks to you, Andy!

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
Csaba _Abu_ Reinhardt January 19, 2023

@Andy HeinzerI've added the permission as "any logged in user" for aggreagated data.
My filter is the following

project = X AND type in (epic, story, bug, spike, spec) AND fixVersion in ("2022 - Q4","2023 - Q1") OR project = X AND type in (Sub-task,"Bug sub-task") AND status not in ("To Do", Done) or issuetype = "Tech Debt" and project = X ORDER BY Rank ASC, priority DESC

The only problem that I can see is that I'm using the project keyword with the same project several times.
Could this prevent me to turn on insights?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2023

It might be that the board is not located within that project where you have permissions.  Check the steps in https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-a-company-managed-board/

I'd be interested to learn the Location value of that board.  In your case, I'd expect it to be in project X.  But if it's located within another project or in a personal space, that can cause this sprint insights widget to throw this kind of error.  You would first need to be a board admin in order to be able to find this information.  If you are not a board admin, you won't be able to determine this yourself.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2023

If that doesn't help, then the next steps I'd be interested to see if you can make the JQL in a few more quotes, such as changing it from:

project = X AND type in (epic, story, bug, spike, spec) AND fixVersion in ("2022 - Q4","2023 - Q1") OR project = X AND type in (Sub-task,"Bug sub-task") AND status not in ("To Do", Done) or issuetype = "Tech Debt" and project = X ORDER BY Rank ASC, priority DES

into 

(project = X AND type in (epic, story, bug, spike, spec) AND fixVersion in ("2022 - Q4","2023 - Q1")) OR (project = X AND type in (Sub-task,"Bug sub-task") AND status not in ("To Do", Done)) or (issuetype = "Tech Debt" and project = X) ORDER BY Rank ASC, priority DESC

In your current JQL, it's possible that you're actually pulling issues from beyond that single project.  I have refined your query, perhaps try this query instead:

project = X AND ((type in (epic, story, bug, spike, spec) AND fixVersion in ("2022 - Q4","2023 - Q1")) OR (type in (Sub-task,"Bug sub-task") AND status not in ("To Do", Done)) or (issuetype = "Tech Debt")) ORDER BY Rank ASC, priority DES
Csaba _Abu_ Reinhardt January 23, 2023

Thanks that was the problem. The Tech Debt issueType was assigned to multiple projects.

Btw I accidentally fixed two "bugs"  beacuse I ran into this too:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-do-I-define-issue-type-when-creating-new-issue-from-Backlog/qaq-p/856737

The solution was the same.

Thanks for your help.

1 vote
yakov.melman May 10, 2023

Hello,
I have the same "permission" message as mentioned in the question. But I have 2 projects in my query: project in (X, Y) and labels=123.

Can you help me, please? Thank you.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2023

You might want to try to follow the troubleshooting steps in https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manage-insights-in-a-company-managed-project/

There is a project permission called View aggregated data, you will need that permission in all the projects where this board can pull issues from.  Within that page there is also a link to Learn more about permissions for company-managed projects.

yakov.melman May 10, 2023

Thanks a lot! It works now. Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events