How do I define issue type when creating new issue from Backlog list?

Agnieszka July 31, 2018

It happened lately that in one of my projects, when I create new issue in Backlog, it's always "bug" type.

When I create new issue from all issues list, I have option to select other types like "task", "epic".

I can also change issue type, so when I create "bug" from backlog, I can edit issue to "task".

How can I allow to create other issue types from backlog?

I've checked already so many options and searched for similar question but so far no luck..

3 answers

1 vote
Joshua DeClerck May 17, 2019

Found this thread while looking into this myself. I managed to "fix" it, though. I don't know if my experience will be helpful to you.

In this case, it was a board made from a multi-project query. It took in different issue types for each project. The only issue type that showed up in the quick entry form on the backlog was a single issue type that was included in the query for all projects. As soon as I updated the query to include another common issue type, I got a second option.

It's possible you're doing something like this, too. If so, the solution may be to tweak your query in a way that ensures the issue type you want to work with is being pulled in from every project your board is looking at (you can prevent mess by saying to only pull in "resolution is not EMPTY" ones from the projects you want to leave out, since backlogs only show open tickets).

If you are in fact using a multi-project board, quick entry will still require you to pull up the full Create Issue form since it wants you to pick the target project. All of this appears to be by design and very briefly explained in the documentation here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-764478439.html#Creatingissuesandsub-tasks-Createanissue

Quoted for if/when the link breaks:

• You can quickly create issues using the inline issue create in the Backlog (for Scrum boards, backlog and future sprints only). Just click + Create issue.

Note, if your board's filter specifies more than one project, you will still need to complete the full 'Create issue' dialog.
0 votes
Giedre Yager July 31, 2018

Normally you are supposed to have a field issue type (like in the picture attached) where you can choose the type of issue. This field should not depend on the view you are in. Do you have this field?
If not you could try to add it through "configure fields".

issue type.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2018

@Agnieszka, welcome to the Community. I assume you are speaking of the "what needs to get done" function at the bottom of the board? If so there should be a down arrow to select the type - see below.

create issue board.jpg

Agnieszka July 31, 2018

@Jack Brickey I have this dropdown but the problem I have is that I can see there only "bug" type.

The strangest thing is that when I create new issue from Issues and Filters -> All issues, in this dropdown I have all the other types of issues.

It think it means that it would need to be some setting of this given screen but I've searched for this option and did not find that it would be even possible.

bug create issue.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2018

@Agnieszka, that seems 'broken' to me. If you can create all issue types via the "+" method for the project in question but not on the backlog then I would reach out to 

Atlassian Support

Agnieszka August 1, 2018

@Jack Brickey Thank you. I also think it's broken after spending too much time trying to fix it :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2018

if you do reach out to Atlassian and ultimately find the answer please include here as a final solution.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2018

i you get to the final answer please post here to the benefit of others.

Agnieszka August 6, 2018

Eventually as I realized I do not need "bug" type for this one given project, I removed it from here and that workaround solved my problem.

I can still see there is issue with ticket's types as I am not able now to create new issue by typing just it's title as modal pops up but since it's not priority I'm keeping it this way.

Once I find some time, I'll contact the support and paste here the solution :) 

Suggest an answer