I cannot update my Jira Issues in my project with a modified CSV-File

Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 15, 2021

I first imported 114 Issues with a csv-File ((UTF-8 with TABS).

Now i want to modify some values. When i import the modified csv file, Jira doesn't update the existing issues with the new values but create new Issues.

I have an opened Ticket, but perhaps the community has a solution.

Thanx

jc

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

@Jean-Christophe Chaulieu 

What values exactly did you put in the last column for issue key? That should be the ABC-123 issue ID for the newly created issues that you want to update.

Also, which values were you trying to update for those issues?

Hello Trudy

Column L1 =  organgs-ID

L2 =  11553

L2 = 11554

L115 = 11666

I Need to change values in D, E, F, G in the CSV and import the modigied cells in Jiro, but only overwrite the modified values.

Thanx

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

@Jean-Christophe Chaulieu - in your last column, for issue key, did you put in issue IDs? These IDs must match the issue key exactly. For example:

• "ABC-124" will work, if the project ID is ABC
  • "124" alone will not work - even if you specify a single destination project during your import, Jira won't understand that you're trying to update ABC-124

What is ABC-124? I have only 6char for the issue key (e.g. 11553)

If it matches than A.5.1.1 must be SPIEL-1 and not SPIEL 231. Because I have only 114 Issues. See Printscreen

Thanx

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-16 um 08.28.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-16 um 08.33.10.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

"SPIEL-<number>" is the issue key

Like Dave Liao likes this
Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 16, 2021

ok

I have now this csv

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-16 um 17.15.40.png

Notice: the only values to change in Jira are in column M (chj and std)

After the import, I have 2 new Issues and not overwrite SPIEL-1 and SPIEL-2.

Perhaps is the mistike in reimport.

What can I do here to pass and not fail?Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-16 um 17.25.43.pngI think, I must do the right thing here!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

You have to map the Issue Key column in your csv file to the Issue Key field in the mapping screen. Otherwise the import process doesn't not know that you want to update existing issues.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

What Trudy said 👍

Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 18, 2021

I did so, but failed. Sorry.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

@Jean-Christophe Chaulieu - allo! 👋

1. Does your CSV have an "issue key" column? (so Jira knows what issues to update)
  2. Are you mapping that column during the import?

The first csv file hasn't an "issue key" column, the key will be generate by the first import. So i didn't have values to map

Than I create a new column at the last column and filled the 4 ones with the respective values.

Than i imported the file but the 4 mofified issues are not be overwrited.

jc

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

@Jean-Christophe Chaulieu - after performing your initial import, search Jira to find the IDs of the generated tickets. You'll need to add the issue key to the next CSV file you import.

For an imported CSV, if Jira doesn't find an issue key to map, it will create a new issue. If Jira finds an issue key to map, it will update the existing issue with the value in the CSV.

Hope this makes sense?

You can also reference "Updating existing issues" in this help doc if you need more details.

Like # people like this
Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 18, 2021

Hi Dave

I think, I did like you wrote. But no success. What is the command to search the IDs in Jira?

Thank a lot.

jc.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2021

@Jean-Christophe Chaulieu - search for recently created issues in that project.

After doing an import, you could use this JQL to find issues made in the last hour:

project = SPIEL AND created >= -1h

Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 20, 2021

Thanks but it doesn't help me.

What I need is the process from importing csv-File with value to overwrite in an existin issue. Without increasing the Key n+1

Like this: Issue key SPIEL-1 must stay SPIEL-1 after import. Not SPIEL-235

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2021

The process for updating an existing issue through the CSV import is to have an issue column with the existing issue's issue ID (i.e. SPIEL-1) and during the Field Mapping step of the import process map that column to the Issue Key field. If that is not working there is some detail about the steps you are taking that is incorrect.

One more time, can you show us the input file, the Mapping screen, and the log for the import process after you execute it?

Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 21, 2021

Input file:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-21 um 07.32.14.png

Mapping Screen:

Mapping screen.png

Log file

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-21 um 07.41.10.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2021

@Jean-Christophe Chaulieu 

Thanks for continuing to work with us as we try to help solve your problem.

Is the SPIEL project a Team Managed or Company Managed project?

What is the Issue Type of the already created SPIEL-1 issue?

What is the Field Type of the field you are trying to update?

Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 21, 2021

I think it is a team managed project, but I'm not sure. Where can I see it?

I think Issue Type is TASK

Field type of the field ist Aa, in this case in the csv file the Value in L2 = chj.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

When you are looking at the board for the project, or the issue list for the project if there is no board yet, at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left it will say which type of project it is.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 1.47.43 PM.png

If you hover your mouse over the icon next to the issue ID, it will show hover help telling you the issue type for that issue.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 8.16.13 AM.png

When you say the field type is "Aa" do you mean it is a Text field (versus a list field, or a number field)?

Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 22, 2021

1. Than Team-Managed

2. Than TASK

3. Yes short Textfield <255 char

Jean-Christophe Chaulieu April 27, 2021

Hello Trudy

Did you send me an answer? I'm not sure!

Thank you very much for all the help.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

Hello Jean-Christophe,

No, I have not added any more replies on this post. I have been busy working on other tasks.

0 votes
Jean-Christophe Chaulieu November 15, 2021

It doesn't match:

Issue in Jira-cloud

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS