Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

I can't make a transition from to-do to in-progress using smart commits but other features work.

My bitbucket repo and my jira project are all on the same url. with this i hoped to be able to use smart commits more specifically the transition feature.

Steps:

1. git add .

2. git commit -m "IT-26 #transition in-progress" or "IT-26 #in-progress" or "IT-26 #In-Progress" all of these are options i tried but with no luck.

3. git push origin <branch name>

I just migrated to from github to jira hoping the integration between bitbucket and jira would be flawless.

Thanks anyone willing to help.

gal1l0

2 answers

Although this question is for Cloud, this DevOps automation feature is requested by many on-prem users. If you are on Jira Data Center (Server) and looking for ways to automatically transition Jira issues on the first commit, there is another way to do it with Better DevOps Automation for Jira.

This article gives a hands-on guide on how to make it work. It also links to the topic of Genius Commits, which allows you to do even more than Smart Commits!

0 votes
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Mar 23, 2020

Hey there!

The format you'll want to use for the transition just uses the transition name, replacing spaces with dashes. So for the example of wanting to transition to In Progress, the format you'll want to use is this:

IT-26 #in-progress the rest of your commit message

A couple of your examples have a format that will work, so it doesn't look like the format is what's causing a problem.

With Smart Commits, the user in Jira needs to have the same email address as the configured git email address. You can check this by:

• Looking at https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email to see what the email address is on the Atlassian account for Jira
  • Bitbucket can separately have extra email addresses configured for the purposes of commits. You can view all the configured email addresses (including the primary one) at https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/email/ - for the purposes of Smart Commits though, the main email address should match the Jira user.
  • In git, you can see the email address by running this command:
    git config user.email

Ideally, all three of these email addresses match.

Outside of the email address, a common cause of failure is having a required field on the issue during the transition. You can test that out in Jira by trying the transition without modifying any fields - if a screen pops up and requires you to fill something out, that would cause the Smart Transition to fail. If possible, Jira will also send you an email to tell you why a smart commit failed. There might be some clues there if you're still not able to find the cause from either the email addresses not matching or the transition requiring some field to be set.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events