I am trying to implement a webhook in Jira which fetches the changes to a custom field(checkbox).

Santhosh Kumar December 3, 2021

I am trying to implement a web-hook in Jira which fetches the changes to a custom field(checkbox) in the issue creation page.
So if I create such a web-hook, for getting the changes made to the issue, will I be able to check if the custom field(checkbox) was checked by the user by looking at the web-hook event?
And also can you please tell me what events for the web-hook should I subscribe to achieve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2021

Hi Santhosh,

If you're using Jira Cloud, then I would actually suggest trying to set this up using Jira Automation.  The reason for this is that, automation makes it much easier to detect a specific field changing, as well as then setup actions to happen because of this, including sending a web request (also known as a webhook). 

Within the automation action, you can then use a smart value of {{fieldChange}} in order to pass the value of that field into the webrequest itself, either in the URL or the body of the sent request.  With automation, we can say that the user that triggers this action is responsible for any changes to that specific field.  You can also use the smart value of {{initiator}} to see which user triggered that rule.

To try to do this outside of automation, well I'm not sure if this is really possible. The system webhooks can be triggered based off when a specific event such as an issue updated, but they are not built to be able to selectively choose when a specific field changes.  You can try to use JQL filtering to find specific values, but these don't always let you be as granular as just saying when a field changed.  Hence I think automation is probably going to be the better approach as it can do this and let you leverage the data such as which user and the specific values of that field at that time.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer