How to view a previous sprint that has been closed?

Brian Cooper February 24, 2019

In board view.....

In next gen project. 

I have no sprint report, if that helps to know which version I am using. 

16 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2022

Hi all. There's a few old threads on here and an old accepted answer that is no longer accurate. I'm going to create a new accepted answer so please let me know if this doesn't address your needs if you are reading this or have posted a comment on here previously.

Details of closed sprints can be viewed within the Reports section of your project or within the Issues page of your project. Note for Team-managed Projects these are both Features that can be turned on and off - details on how to turn them on... here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-reports/ and https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-the-project-issue-navigator/

The Sprint burndown chart is in the Reports section and is a great place to view a burndown chart with lots of useful info on scope changes, what was completed, what wasn't etc. Select your sprint in the dropdown. You can also reopen old sprints from here.

If your sprint is quite old and doesn't appear in the dropdown, then you can view the issues that were tagged with a specific sprint in the Issues page. You can add the sprint field (under "More +") to filter by sprint name.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

Eoin

Product manager

hbaille August 30, 2022

Thanks for this answer Eoin, though a suggestion might be to just make a Sprint selector dropdown on the "Board" page to easily view current and previous sprints, where the dropdown defaults to the current sprint.  That would make it much easier to navigate not having to go into Reports, which is obviously not very clear to users.  Again though, appreciate your time and attention to this answer.

Like # people like this
Yuma Heymans January 4, 2023

I can only see up to 10 sprints back. The rest is not visible and nowhere else to be found. Also not in the other reports. Where can I see the older sprints? This is key for learning purposes; I want to look back and see exactly what we did previously in the Sprint view. 

Like # people like this
Jay Klein
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 26, 2023

@Eoin Please stop beating around the bush
Will you please get the team to consider an old sprint dropdown, No-report just a simple dropdown to be able to see old tasks - not date-limited one that only allows you to go back a year.

In short, no report just let me see my tasks and sprints from the beginning of time
it's a yes or no 

Like # people like this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2023

Hi @Jay Klein - have you tried using the Issues page for this? Keen to understand if this doesn't satisfy your needs. 

Thanks

Richard Fromm
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 29, 2023

Where is there a selector for a sprint on the Issues page? I can't find it.

I *can* find a Sprint pulldown by going from the Board to Reports -> Sprint Report, but that is not at all obvious unless you know it.

Why not just put a pulldown in the obvious place, where the current sprint is displayed on the Board? Keep the current the default, but let you choose otherwise?

I don't think this functionality really belongs under Issues or Reports, at least not as the primary entry point.

I certainly understand @mheck 's frustration, and don't consider his comment to be anything close to a personal attack. If "There's a few old threads on here" about this, and if this keeps resurfacing year after year, maybe that's a sign that your users really do know something about how they want to use the product, and you should consider listening to them.

tiago.dallagnol
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 29, 2023

This modus operandi for Sprint management is kinda disappointing, in my point of view. I'm evaluating Jira and a competitor to choose as project management platform and this is a huge con. There are things I like in Jira, but not this one. It looks flexible and powerful, but then you try to use it for real is when you see what is good and what is not.

I think that what is a bit frustrating about this were my expectations. Lots of features and reports (maybe too many), integrations with 3rd party platforms... But the core functionality of sprint management is a bit odd.

Like Jayanth a s likes this
33 votes
mheck January 22, 2020

You know what, I'm sorry, but this is really getting a "What the hell do I pay you people for?" reaction from me.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 6, 2020

@mheck Keep in mind that personal attacks against Atlassians or other users is not permitted on this platform. Some of your other posts have been removed accordingly and this one is also skirting the line. I understand you're frustrated but please keep our guidelines in mind and stay constructive. Thanks!

Like Chris Anderson likes this
Piz Wang October 11, 2021

@Monique vdB I can't believe the basic function hasn't been implemented.  I can understand mheck's anger.

Like # people like this
Krzysztof Wesołowski July 22, 2022

@Monique vdB I really struggle to find an attack against anyone it this post. It is a basic and necessary functionality that Your software is lacking. It would be better to focus on fixing that, than trying to avoid answering practical question with emotional response. Bottom line is - You are being payed to deliver a complete software. Your software is lacking core functionality (an that is really important, as we lose time because of this particular problem very often). Users reports the issue. Next step is fixing the issue. That is all.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 22, 2022

@Krzysztof Wesołowski hi! I deleted the posts that contained personal attacks which is why you don't see them.  Definitely hear the frustration that this gap is causing for people and it's always fine to express that as you did here. 

Although I'm not on the Jira team myself, I will try to get an update on this feature for you from someone who is.   

Eoin
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2022

I've added a new answer to the top of this post. Hope this helps :) 

8 votes
Trevor Paquette March 23, 2021

Go to Reports -> Sprint burndown chart (not available for all clients??)

Choose sprint from dropdown. (Ours only goes back to the beginning of this year.. nothing earlier than that)

Scroll down. Issues are grouped by : Issues added, Issues incomplete during sprint, Issues Completed.

Choose next print from dropdown.. etc..

Not intuitive, but workable. Hope this helps others.

Nancy Dominguez September 8, 2021

Thanks, exactly what I needed!

Daniel Gifkins October 18, 2021

Reports > Sprint Report 

Not sure what you're expecting your past sprints to look like.

Suresh Srini April 25, 2022

where is the reports link in JIRA data center?

our sprint covers multiple projects and just not single project.

7 votes

Incase anyone else is looking for this answer. The answer is you can't. 

Jennifer Manson March 30, 2021

Wow. Why?

Like # people like this
Mohammad Mortazavi December 14, 2021

go to project setting under features toggle on the Report. 

Then go back to your project main page, refresh it and you'll be able to see the reports. 

Choose sprint burndown report 

Like # people like this
4 votes
Sebastian October 1, 2021

It's October 1st, 2021. You still can't. Such a basic task!

Someone please include this user story to their board, maybe it got lost in a finished sprint.

Thanks

3 votes
Harrison Dempsey
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2019

Hi Brian,

You're correct that there's no way to currently do this in next-gen projects. We're really sorry for the inconvenience and while we are building up more capabilities in next-gen to support more ways of working, we can also do a much better job of setting expectations for what's available and not yet available in the new project types before creating them.

It would be helpful to understand what you're trying to use the sprint report for, if possible. Is it to reopen or edit a sprint? Access and view the completed work in the sprint? 

It's probably not the information you're looking for that you would typically get from the sprint report, but as a workaround that might help unblock some actions for you, you can find and edit issues in any sprint by navigating to the Search page, adding the "Sprint" field in the "More" dropdown button, and selecting your desired sprint name. This will give you all the issues in that sprint which you can edit as necessary from there (either individually or via "bulk change" in the top right). Hope that helps, and sorry again for the inconvenience - we're working hard to improve!

Harrison

Product Designer, Jira Software

Jiri Puc June 24, 2019

I need to report to my boss what have been done in previous sprints. It is surprising such a basic feature is not present. This is super bad.

Like # people like this
Gary Kerzhnerman July 10, 2019

Hi Harrison,  is there any status update on sprint reporting capabilities please? 

Thank you,

-gary

Like # people like this
andrés December 12, 2019

It's almost 2020. When will we be able to view previous sprints in the Board or Backlog?

Like # people like this
mheck January 22, 2020

I literally cannot believe you guys shipped this.

Like # people like this
Hernan Rajchert January 24, 2020

Is this still the case? this issue is almost a year old now, and being able to look at past task is basic functionality.

Like # people like this
Elouise Bawden February 2, 2020

What search page???  

Like Tim Rutter likes this
sadeepdarshana September 18, 2021

2 years+

Like # people like this
Sajid Ali April 14, 2022

3 years+

Like # people like this
Ekko Makkinga
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 4, 2023

4 years + 

Jay Klein
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 26, 2023

jira-deletes.png

2 votes
Niels de Feyter December 24, 2021

+1 that is would be useful to have the 'Sprint board' not only for the 'Active sprints', but also for previous sprints.

Currently tickets in previous sprints are kinda lost in the Jira system.
And while the tickets are visible in the sprint report, the list of tickets looks very different than how the sprint-board looks. For example the 'lanes' are all gone. 

Randall Pavelich May 9, 2022

One way I get to previous sprints (YMMV) is to:

• Open the project
  • open Sprint Report
  • By default current sprint is shown, use dropdown to select a previous sprint
  • Click the ellipsis (...) in upper right and choose 'View Sprint in Issue Navigator'

From here you can see a table of issues and sort by column headings

I like this path as more information is presented and is very configurable. You don't get the swimlanes as such but you can tailor the columns easily. Give it a go!

Randall Pavelich May 9, 2022

You can also modify the filter if feeling adventurous

Niels de Feyter July 4, 2022

Thanks @Randall Pavelich 

1 vote
marco January 16, 2022

Three years and counting...

I just want to understand: if I get a paid plan, do I get this functionality?

This seems so basic I can't really believe anyone would pay for Jira, so it must be there (is it?) but, you know, at this point, I really don't know what to believe any longer.

1 vote
Blaise Swanwick December 13, 2021

I really wish I could click on a sprint in the Sprint Velocity Report and have it show me the Issues that were completed during that sprint. 

0 votes
shiva kumar Shiva Gosul September 29, 2022

Go to Reports>>Click "Sprint Reports" and select corresponding report

0 votes
Rémy Schumm July 1, 2022

I think this issue is not solved. If in planning view, we want to see what was done in the previous sprints. 

This is very basic feature and just a shame that Jira does not have it. Actually it's a reason not to use it - but we have to, because everybody uses it. 

Or do we just not understand the philosophy to use Jira? 

0 votes
Suresh Srini May 10, 2022

Our current Board consist of multiple projects. None of the suggestions made above is not helping me.

We are using 'Data center Jira v8.22.0".

0 votes
RJ USA February 6, 2022

Is this an option yet or on anyone's radar?

0 votes
marco January 16, 2022

I mean

project = PAB AND Sprint = "API Sprint 5" ORDER BY resolutiondate DESC

does the trick, but shall we just call it "clumsy" and leave it at that?

0 votes
Chris Anderson December 9, 2021

This worked great for me in the advanced search:

`project = MLE AND status = Done AND resolutiondate > startOfDay(-2w)` 

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2019

Hello,

You can not view it in the board view. You should view it in the sprint report.

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 11.40.41 AM.png

These are my only reports. 

It's a next-gen project type. Probably a terrible decision on my part. I just would have never thought that I would not be able to see my prior data.  I really don't want to pay for Confluence just to get my Jira data. 

Like # people like this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2019

Yes, if you want to see old sprints, then you should move to a classic project.

Like # people like this

Thank you. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but at least I know. 

What a terrible decision on Jira's part. I mean that's up there with new Coke and that weird Garth Brooks album. 

Like # people like this
Robin Turner December 14, 2021

Kind of cheeky to mark the issue as "Solved" when the solution is "You can't do this."

Like # people like this
marco January 16, 2022

> you should move to a classic project

How?

I tried to create a brand-new project, at no point I was asked to choose between a "classic" project and "one you can't do the most basic task you can think of"

Is this a matter of paid v free or deeper?

Collin
Atlassian Team
March 25, 2022

Hello @Marco,

When it comes to moving to a classic project, it should be noted that "classic projects" was the legacy term for "Company Managed Projects" (whereas the legacy term for "Team Managed projects" was "next-gen").

It is possible to migrate a project from Team Managed to Company Managed, and vice versa.

The process is outlined here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects

Hope this helps!

Collin

Suggest an answer