How to use both a kanban board as well as a scrum board in one, single project?

Deleted user April 28, 2019

I would like to create a single - scrum - Jira project and then add a kanban board as well. The end result should be a single Jira project with 2 boards in it - 1 kanban board + 1 scrum board. (I'm intending to split my workflow in two where the kanban board is used exclusively for bug fixes and the scrum board for everything else (eg: new stuff)..

Or an equivalent

Thanks in advance for any help

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

Hey Jake -

you can do this. Say you create an initial project as a kanban project - you can add a scrum board to this project and visa versa.  See example screen shots. 

cm-1.pngcm-2.pngcm-3.png

I don't know what I was thinking. I haven't even explored how Jira works very much at-all.I guess I just didn't feel comfortable that I knew enough to start in.  I haven't tried it but I can see that CRUD'ing board is pretty normal? It seems like it to look at the screenshots.

I'm done playin' ed. I'm jumpin' in. Might take a few practice runs but I'm excited!

Thanks man. 

:>

Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2019

Just jump in and start banging around.  I always learned that way the best - usually broke something and then had to figure out how to fix it :)

Like # people like this
Kosha Singh June 20, 2019

Hi Ed,

Scenario:

One Jira Project

Two boards : Scrum and Kanban under same project.

All the information shows up as required with required query in each boards.

Question: Which workflow will be applied to Kanban Board? If the same as Scrum Board, it isn't working for me.

I also did Board configuration> Columns, so both the board have same column an related workflow, to have appropriate status flow correctly.

The Scrum WorkFlow is:

To Do

In Progress

Code Review

Ready for Testing

Ready for Demo

Done.

What happens in Kanban board, the tickets flow from 'To Do' to directly 'Done', so appropriate status cannot be used.

Thanks,

Kosha

Like Sidnei Almeida likes this
0 votes
Joanna Kłak November 29, 2022

Hi, just the question: I would like to add the "Due date field" only for the Kanban board. 

I've encountered problems. 

Can you help me with it??

Thanks

0 votes
Lucas De Lamper July 12, 2022

IMO, there is too much focus on the tooling here. 

SCRUM and KANBAN are two different frameworks for Agile development. They have many things in common, but there are also differences. 

I think people would better think first about which framework fits their project best. Very often, it will be the one that has been chosen by your organization and known by its people.

One essential difference is: in SCRUM, tasks are created and assigned in the sprint meeting(s). In Kanban, people create and assign tasks to themselves. Those things don't match well.

i was part of a project where SCRUM and KANBAN were mixed. The first thing we noticed is a lot of extra WASTE is introduced by this. The efforts needed to combine the two frameworks are not what your customer is likely to pay for. (which is the definition of waste)

So whatever the tool like Jira is able to do, consider carefully what is best, and CHOOSE.

You will probably end of with the worst of both frameworks, not the best. 

Carsten Dollerup October 12, 2022

Even though this is an old post, I still think the setup is feasible. For example for a development team dealing with lots of support or similar unplanned / unplannable work. Even if it's not the permanent state.

I'm not a fan of the 'normal' just setting some capacity a side for those tasks. 

IMO it makes sense to have all the planned work in the Scrum board and the unplanned work on the Kanban. This enables much more transparency into the actual amount and enables better results when investigating how to help the team and the organization better by focusing on recurring / similar types of unplanned work. 

Like Peter Bowyer likes this
0 votes

I'm beginning to see that perhaps my question should have been - "how do I add additional boards to an existing Jira project?".  I'm seeing this notion come up as I search for a solution One Project Multiple Boards but there is no actual, concrete solution given ( an actual recipe for adding boards to existing projects ) - a how to, with steps.

I'm also seeing the notion of "filters" come up. Perhaps I don't understand something about how Jira is designed to be used?

I want to, first, use Jira the way it is intended (best practice) but my use case is as described in the op. How can this be achieved properly?

Andrea Lee June 12, 2019

@[deleted] did you ever get this answered?  I believe I have the same question.  

thanks!

Avigail_Manheim December 26, 2019

It depends if your project is NextGen or Classic.

In NextGen, it is not possible to have multiple boards in a single project.

In Classic, on the left hand gray bar under the project's name is the board's name. If you click on the name of the board a drop-down menu will appear to show  you the names of other boards within the project. At the bottom of that drop-down is "+ Create Board". Click on that, and then follow the screens that appear. You will need to choose whether you want a Kanban board or a Scrum board, and you will want to choose "create board from an existing project" and select the name of your project. 

Avigail_Manheim December 26, 2019

If you realize that your project is NextGen, but you need multiple boards, create a new project as a Classic software project and then bulk move issues from the NextGen project to the Classic one.

Configure as much as possible before moving the tickets. 

Especially make sure your workflows match, or know which old statuses map to which new statuses.

Note that "epics" are treated very differently between NextGen and Classic, so when you do the conversion you will no longer have the parent/child relationship, and will need to recreate it. Therefore, you may want to create labels for issues that match the epic names while still in NextGen, and then you can more easily find the right issues to associate with each epic after you've converted to Classic.

Also note that there is currently no built-in Roadmap in Classic.

There are more threads on changing between NextGen and Classic and considerations to take into account if that is what you'd like to do. 

Like marielena.aizaga likes this
Nick Jordan November 19, 2020

Seems like one distinction that hasn't been addressed is whether the user wants to view the same issues from two perspectives (scrum and kanban), or whether scrum should contain a set of issues with completely independent issues in the kanban board. The former is possible in one Classic project, not Next Gen. I don't think the latter is possible...?

Like Ben Díaz likes this
Ben Díaz April 27, 2022

@Nick Jordan yeah, exactly. I am looking into a way to do the latter... Too bad

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events