I want two sprints on the same board, but working on different releases

Shane Drumm October 16, 2014

I have setup a project in JIRA where I want to keep all stories, issues and epics. I have created one scrum board and kanban board which works off the same backlog which is perfect as I can group them in epics for reporting. When I create another scrum board it is just the same instance of the other scrum board with different name, when I move a story off one board it will do the same for the other? 

Ideally I want two sprints to be happening simultaneously but are working on different releases. How can I achieve this without having to create a new project?

2 answers

4 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2014

Hi, since every board has it's own filter there won't be any problem having more than one board per project. But keep in mind that if a issue changes status it will behave differently in the boards depending on the configuration you have.

Shane Drumm October 16, 2014

Hey, that doesn't really answer my question though? Is it possible for the the two boards have separate sprints with different dates? Is there a tutorial on how to setup the filters?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2014

Here you can check how to configure the filters: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Filters If I remember correctly an issue can only be assigned to one sprint. So you can have two boards with their own separate sprints and different days as long as they don't have the same issues in their filters.

Like Service Desk likes this
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2014

sorry, different 'dates'

Awais Khalil December 3, 2018

Yes dear you can create parallel sprints having multiple boards. I'm suggesting an answer below for your convenience. 

Like George Avg likes this
0 votes
Awais Khalil December 3, 2018

You need to create separate boards, separate sprints with different dates and enable parallel option in settings.  Enabling parallel sprints: 1. Log in as a user with the Administer Jira global permission. 2. Click your Jira icon 3. Click Settings > Applications, then scroll down the page to the  Jira Software  section. 4. Under Jira Software configuration, select the Parallel Sprints checkbox.

Idan B. - CSI December 19, 2018

This actually still doesn't answer the question, because if i understand correctly Ramiro wanted to have separate sprints, which means that the tickets in each board should be different. I face the same issue. Every board that I create under the same project share the tickets from the other boards. How do I create a board that is independent from the other boards?

Like # people like this
Ronnel June 5, 2019

Hi sir!, can you explain the part of changing the query to include project and a new sprint. Thanks

Michael Gamboa June 6, 2019

How to create multiple boards in 1 project

Preconditions

• Parallel sprints is turned ON (by JIRA Admin)
  • *User has BOARD ADMIN rights to project
  • Boards should have the same workflow (edit in board settings under Columns)

Steps

1. From the project backlog;
  2. Create new board – Click on the Board drop down and select ‘+ Create Board’
  3. JIRA will display the Create a Board window
  4. Click the Create a Scrum Board button
  5. JIRA will display 2 radio button options
  6. Select radio button – Create Board from an existing project and click NEXT
  7. JIRA will display the Name this board window
  8. Name the board – make sure it’s in the correct project and location – click CREATE BOARD
  9. New board will inherit the project filter (same backlog and active board)
  10. In the backlog, select your new board
  11. Click on the ellipsis (top right of backlog) and select *BOARD Settings
  12. Jira will display the setting page for your board
  13. In the Filter section click on EDIT FILTER QUERY
  14. JIRA will display the Issues/Filter page.
  15. Edit the filter using any field/parameter you like (except project-keep the default).
  16. You can display issues on your 2nd board by using the sprint, component, epic, label, or even issue type (like only showing defects on the 2nd board) by using the MORE option.  You can be as creative as you want when deciding how to differentiate boards from each other, just use JQL.
  17. Click SAVE and your done
  18. Now you can toggle between boards/backlogs and see the appropriate issues.

Like # people like this
Michael Royle July 25, 2019

Hi Michael, thanks for the step by step, really easy to follow. I've followed these steps and added a 'Label = x' filter. When I go back to the backlog of my new scrum board I still see the all the same issues in the backlog (regardless of the label).

Is there something I haven't done? We're on Cloud, not sure that would make any difference.

Thanks, Michael

Sorted this now thank you

Michael Gamboa July 25, 2019

Michael,  I just walked through this using a label and i didn't have any problems.  We use JIRA cloud too.   Im glad the instructions helped, its really easy to do but using labels can be tricky since they are case sensitive.  I know it sounds basic, but check that the label you are using on your issues matches (identical) to the label you selected in you board filter.  Also, check your board filter just to make sure the label parameter is present and correct (some folks forget to SAVE their changes).   That's all i can think of.  1)check your label & 2)make sure you SAVE your filter with label selection.   

Hope this helps, if not, maybe you can use an epic.  

Like # people like this
Michael Royle July 26, 2019

Thanks Michael, I wasn't following the process correctly (step 13, although very clear). I've correct completed this now. Thanks for coming back to me.

Like Michael Gamboa likes this

Suggest an answer