How to use Block Kit messages when sending Slack messages through Automation for Jira

Robby Helms April 1, 2021

Slack supports sending messages using its Block Kit. Are these kinds of messages supported when sending Slack messages as an action through Automation for Jira?

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.41.38 AM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2021

Hi @Robby Helms , welcome to the Community!

Currently the setup for Automation into Slack uses the Legacy Webhook app, which doesn't support Block Kit or some other interactive elements. You can read the details on what is / isn't available through the legacy webhook app here. Were Automation to use the newer Slack app framework, block kit elements might be possible. However, this would also remove the ability to use a channel override in the webhook parameters.

We've got an issue in Automation's backlog to migrate off the Legacy webhook app, which you can view here: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1515 I should note that this issue exists on the codebarrel tracker (before Automation was wrapped natively into Jira Cloud), so unfortunately you'll be unable to vote on or watch this particular issue, as you would be able to for issues on jira.atlassian.com.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Suport

Trong Duc Truong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 7, 2024

Hello @Daniel Eads, I cannot seem to be able to view your  https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1515, is automation still using the legacy webhook app or have they switched to the newer one?

Bill Martin March 13, 2024

also looking for this - I'd like to send an inline image icon in a message from jira

Julien Gomez March 21, 2024

Hi @Daniel Eads, same needs here, please give us an update on the current support of this feature, best regards, Julien

Callum Lawrence
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 11, 2024

Me too, is this still not supported 3 years later?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events